What’s Been Going on at Theatre Simpson?

What’s been going on at Theatre Simpson?  A lot!

The past month has been full of exciting activities at Theatre Simpson.  We started the semester with auditions for Peer Gynt and now with a cast of 24, rehearsals are in full swing and the shops are a buzz.  Then four faculty, two staff, and 25 students traveled to Ames for the KCACTF Region 5 Festival (more on that in a moment).  And just this week we completed the company assignments for Festival of Short Plays 2012: Experimental Theatre in America in the 60s and 70s.  (Oh, and there are 42 students directing, designing, managing, teching and acting with this project.)

Now, back to KCACTF.  Theatre Simpson has actively participated with the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival for over 20 years.  We enter all of our shows and prepare our students to participate in acting, design, and technical events.  On January 15, 2012 the Iowa State University campus was invaded by theatre students from the Region 5 states–Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota.  Around 225 schools from around this region all participated in the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival. This is a week long Festival for College students who want to immerse themselves in the theatre experience. There are workshops, performances, job auditions and interviews, and so much more.  This year our students served as volunteers helping make the Festival (with 1500 attendees) run smoothly.  Here’s what some of our students said about the experience:

“KCACTF has impacted my life every year, for all four years that I have attended it. Each year I’ve learned something different or have had a different experience that teaches me something new about myself. Who would I recommend to go to KCACTF? ANYONE and EVERYONE! You don’t have to be a theatre major to attend. Sure it’s a week long event celebration theatre, but it’s also great for anyone who wants to learn more about themselves and how theatre relates to them and the world around them.

Image

Meghan Vosberg, on the left, in the concert reading of The Book of Adam

My advice to someone attending KCACTF for the first time would be to try everything! Don’t spend the whole time in your hotel room. Attend workshops, see performances, and audition for something. The most memorable thing that I experiences this year would have to be participating in the staged reading of the Kennedy Center Nationally Award winning student written play, The Book of Adam. This was a great experience that included a 30 hour rehearsal schedule that took place in two days. I was 1 of 6 cast members, one for each state of the region, and I represented Iowa.” –Meghan Vosberg, senior theatre major and member of the Theatre Simpson Company

“The most memorable thing about KCACTF was the design expo, it was really interesting to see all the different aspects of design and how different people designed the same shows.”

Image

Senior theatre major Lindsey Oetken, on the right, receiving feedback at the design expo on her costume designs for The Glass Menagerie

“I would recommend that anyone who is even the slightly bit interested in theatre should attend the festival. It is a great learning experience ranging from newbies to people who have been involved in theatre their whole lives.” –Nicole Cavanaugh, junior music major and member of the Theatre Simpson Company.