Continuing & Graduate Connections-Term 2 October ’12

FALL NEWSLETTER – October 2012

Dear Students and Colleagues,

Welcome to the start of Term 2! This is a completely new beginning for some of you and we wish you well on this exciting journey.  For all of us we have the feeling of a fresh page, crisp fall days and cool nights as we begin classes, tackle assignments and discover the magic of learning.

This past summer I had the joy of a family reunion, as I hope some of you did.  My nephew has completed a year at school and I asked him about it.  “Well auntie, it is alright.”   I inquired “only alright?”  After a thoughtful pause, he said emphatically “but it is every day,” as though no one had warned him. It is possible that there are times when we feel frustrated that life is every day, given the busy careers, families and study that our adult learners cope with.  We are working on listening to your ideas and needs. In the coming year we have several goals that are in response to our student surveys and conversations.  Here are 4 of them:

Increase information: New students are asking for more information about majors and the flow of courses.  You may pick up “Engaged Citizenship” information sheets at any of our campuses. These give a summary of our curriculum and the embedded skills within. These skills were designed in response to employers of our graduates who are looking for people who can write well, give effective oral presentations, think critically, work ethically, understand fiscal responsibility and develop relationships in a culturally diverse and global community. Being able to explain how your degree gives you these skills makes you stand out in the crowd.  Our PR office has also been working on ‘sizzle sheets’ that describe departments and majors; you can see them online or pick them up from your advisor.

Provide resources:  Our Career Services Office under the leadership of Jennifer del Pino is available to assist with resumes and career searches.  We will be offering one information session per term at each campus.  Similarly, all of us experience stress at some period in our lives, especially when juggling many tasks.  Ellie Olson, Director of our Counseling services is planning to offer a session on coping with stress. This will be held in mid-November at the West Des Moines campus.

Expand online learning opportunities: This summer we held 24 fully online classes with good response from students and faculty.  In the coming year we plan to increase these offerings and welcome your feedback. If you took one of these online courses we thank you for your response to the survey we recently sent out. Please let Jule Thorsen know which classes you would like to see offered online.

Social Media:  Amy Day and Katie Princehouse are actively expanding our use of Facebook and Twitter.  We plan to broaden our networks and find the best ways to keep you fully informed in your favorite mediums.  Contact Amy with your suggestions.  Recently, we had a meeting with the Des Moines Register to discuss optimum use of new website interaction and analytics and it is our goal that you will see a larger Simpson presence in the online version of the newspaper.

Guess what?  Our new account manager at the Des Moines Register is a spring 2012 alum: congratulations Josh Burkhart and all your classmates.  Similarly, when we walked into Pioneer to plan a ‘Lunch ‘n Learn’ for employees, the first person we met was recent graduate Mario Rodriguez. Simpson graduates are everywhere and ready to be in your network. We graduated 128 people last year out of 523 experienced adult learners.  Truly, you show us the way – every day.

Rosemary J. Link, PhD., Associate Vice President

I very much look forward to greeting you,

Rosemary J. Link, PhD.
Associate Vice President

Important Upcoming Dates
Nov. 1 – Picture Day; WDM
Nov. 15 – Info Session: LEP; ANK
Nov. 22-26 – Closed for Thanksgiving
Nov. 27 – Speaker Series with Suku Radia; WDM
Nov. 29 – Start of Transitions

Spring Courses Begin January 7, 2013
Choose from over 100 courses offered in Ankeny, Indianola and West Des Moines. Classes are offered 1 night per week or every other Saturday morning. The schedule is available at www.simpson.edu/schedule. Sign up yourself and invite your friends and colleagues to join you. Click here to register.

Forward Simpson Messages to Your Preferred Email
Are you missing out on important updates from Simpson? Are you tired of having to check multiple email accounts?

Nearly all formal communication from the college is sent only to your Simpson email account, but we know you don’t all check it regularly. You may be missing out on important information from the Registrar, Financial Assistance, and your advisor, among others.

Forward emails from your Simpson account to your preferred account by following the instructions below:

1. Log onto your Simpson account.
  2. Click on the Options drop down arrow and choose Create an Inbox Rule.
  3. Click on the NEW Drop down arrow and choose the “Create a new rule for arriving messages” option.
  4. Apply rule when the message arrives, and it was sent to firstname.lastname@my.simpson.edu
  5. Redirect the message to mypreferredemail@server.com
  6. Click save.

Simpson Speaker Series features Suku Radia on Nov. 27

Suku Radia, CEO of Bankers Trust

Simpson Speaker Series features prominent local and regional leaders speaking about “Insights on Leadership”. Our next event will feature Suku Radia, CEO and President of Bankers Trust.

Mr. Radia has been CEO and President of Bankers Trust since March 2008. Bankers Trust is Iowa’s largest independent community bank. Prior to joining Bankers Trust, Mr. Radia served as Chief Financial Officer of Meredith Corporation, the nation’s leading diversified media company. Radia was Managing Partner of KPMG in Des Moines from 1993 to 2000. During his 25-year tenure at KPMG, Radia counseled senior management for several national and international entities on a number of financial issues.

Speaker Series events are free and open to the public. Networking begins at 5:30 and speaker presentation begins at 6pm. Events are held at the West Des Moines campus.

Do You Have Financial Aid Questions?
Director of Financial Assistance, Tracie Pavon, will be at the West Des Moines campus on Monday, November 12 to meet individually with students and answer questions. Private 15-minute meetings are available from 4:30pm-7:30pm. Schedule an appointment by calling 515-961-1630 or emailing cheryl.eaton@simpson.edu. Be sure to bring your loan paperwork and specific questions.

Writing Tutor Available
A writing tutor is now available on Saturday mornings (10am – noon) at the West Des Moines campus. This free service is available to help you in all stages of the writing process: prewriting, organization, thesis development, documentation styles, and revisions. Tutoring is also available via email. Contact Mitch Glodek at mglodek3@gmail.com to schedule a meeting or to receive feedback on a draft composition.

Student Spotlight: Shawn Comer, From Groom to Graduate

Shawn Comer, with wife Sandi Comer

When we asked one of our friendly management majors, Shawn Comer, to answer a few questions he was happy to oblige. Though he is a man of few words on paper, he knows how to get his message across.  Shawn shares a special connection to Simpson that started three decades ago. Here is the story in his own words: “Almost 30 years ago I started my journey with Simpson, and then I got married to my beautiful wife…in Smith Chapel. I quit school to support my family and now in December 2012 I am going to graduate from Simpson in the same place we were married…Smith Chapel. I am extremely blessed!!”

Simpson College: What has been your motivation to finish your degree?
Shawn Comer: To cross it off my bucket list.

Simpson: What is your major and why did you select it?
Shawn:
Business management- there are so many possibilities with this major.

Simpson: What have you enjoyed most about your Simpson College experience?
Shawn:
Definitely all of the good people I have met- the office staff, instructors and fellow students.

Simpson: What did you learn most about yourself through the experience?
Shawn:
If I put my mind to it, I can accomplish anything.

Simpson: What has surprised you about your Simpson experience?
Shawn:
How smart I really am not.

Simpson: Would you recommend Simpson to others?
Shawn: I would and I have. It is a special place.

Simpson: Tell us a little about yourself.
Shawn:
I own Papa’s Pizzeria in Polk City. I have been married for almost 30 years and have three adult boys.

Simpson: What is your favorite vacation spot?
Shawn:
Any all-inclusive resort with crystal blue waters- they are totally stress free.

Congratulations, Shawn! We look forward to seeing you walk down the aisle of Smith Chapel in December; this time as a graduate instead of a groom.

Meet the Instructor: Marty Feeney

Marty Feeney, with wife Susan Eggert

The opposite of Shawn Comer, Marty Feeney is never at a loss for words. In fact, we had to edit his answers just to fit in all his excitement and enthusiasm for his profession, his students, and Simpson College.

Simpson College: How long have you been teaching at Simpson, and what do you teach?
Marty Feeney: About eight years. I teach Interpersonal Communication, Public Speaking, Research in Communication, Media Studies, Marketing, Small Group Communication, Advertising, Persuasion.

SC: What makes teaching at Simpson unique?
MF: What I like about teaching at Simpson is how everyone from President Byrd to the faculty, the staff, the guy working to fix my office door, and the kids offering service in Dirlam lounge, all deliver value to the students. Once in the classroom, I love the energy and creativity of the Simpson students. I bring in colleagues to judge end-of-semester projects. The students do amazing tech-splendid, real-world presentations. What little talent I have sure gets a boost from Simpson students!

SC: What do you enjoy about working with adult students?
MF: Single-minded super efforts and a focused, diligent approach to class and assignments.

SC: Tell us about your family and how you spend your free time.
MF: I’m married to marathon runner, Susan Eggert, who is an IT raconteur at Principal Financial. I have a son, Rob, graduating from ISU in December. My daughter, Caroline, is in her first year of graduate school in the school of journalism at the University of Missouri.

I compete in the Iowa Senior Olympics every year in: track and field, swimming, soccer, football, softball, frisbee distance and accuracy, tennis, basketball, badminton, and volleyball. I am blessed to have won 12 medals this year. I train hard and it takes three weeks to recover from the competition. Since 2007 I have won 79 medals.

Thank you, Marty! We know you have many more medals to earn in your future.

Are you in the job market?
Remember to take advantage of Simpson’s Career Services office and to check CareerPaths (https://simpson-csm.symplicity.com/students/) weekly. Career Services receives announcements for internships, part-time jobs and full-time jobs daily; they are posted as soon as they come in so check often for the latest updates. This resource is available to all current students and alumni– and there is no charge to use it.  Please contact careers@simpson.edu with any questions.