A note from the Dean of Students, Jim Thorius

As I write this, I’m aware of how quickly the end of the semester will be upon us. Last night my wife and I joined the annual Thanksgiving dinner celebration hosted by the multicultural and international students associations. An evening of good food, good conversations and an opportunity for each person in attendance to share thoughts on what they are thankful for this year.

I know that I have much to be thankful for this year. We have a great group of students at Simpson again this year, so many of whom are actively engaged in their education and the life of the campus. After spending a little over a year in temporary office space on the edge of campus in the campus services building while awaiting the construction of the Kent Campus Center, I really am thankful to be back in the center of campus and to have the daily opportunities to interact with many of our students. And I am very thankful for the opening of the Kent Campus Center; it is a wonderful new facility many of you may have had the chance to see already, for those who haven’t I hope you have the opportunity next time you’re on campus. This building truly does provide great space for students and all members of the campus community to gather in community with others from across the campus for meeting, learning, working, studying, socializing and relaxing. It is community building space. My office is on the second floor and when you are on campus and want to talk please stop by, if I am available I would be happy to buy you a cup of coffee and have a conversation.

The next few weeks will be a very busy time for students. They most likely have projects, papers, research and/or other assignments to finish as well as prepare for final exams. If your daughter or son seem a little stressed, it may be normal. The last few weeks of a term can be hectic and stressful. Learning and growth and development occur through challenge and support. The demands and rigor of the educational program can and should provide the challenge. As you talk with your student you might remind them of the faculty and staff resources that are here to also provide the support. Encourage your student to use all the resources that are available and that can assist them in successfully wrapping up the semester.

Best wishes to you all for a wonderful holiday season. Please contact me if I can be of any assistance to you or your student.

Jim Thorius