Faculty Spotlight – Shea Mears

How long have you been teaching at Simpson and what do you teach?
That is a good question.  You ask a lot of good questions.   I have been teaching at Simpson College for 9 years now I think….we may need to verify that….I’m not good with numbers.

I teach Accounting and Taxation courses.  Specifically I teach Individual Income Tax, Taxation of Business Entities, Advanced Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting.    I pretty much teach the most exciting topics that you can imagine taking.

Where do you work outside of Simpson?
I teach full-time for Des Moines Area Community College in the Accounting department.   I also do tax consulting for fun.

What makes teaching at Simpson unique?
The atmosphere.  Everyone at Simpson is truly dedicated to making sure that every student who walks through the door is successful.  It is very enjoyable to be a part of a progam that is student centered where everyone is willing to use whatever resources are available to help the students acheive their goals.

What do you enjoy most about working with adult students?
What I enjoy about teaching at Simpson is the quality of the students.   Every student is motivated to either obtain their Accounting degree or earn enough credits to sit for the CPA.  I enjoy the classroom discussions that are created every night due to the fact that the students feel comfortable in the classroom.

Please tell us about your family and how you like to spend your free time.
My wife and I live in Urbandale with our two boys.  My free time this time of year is spent at basketball tournaments, indoor soccer games or prepping for tournament baseball this summer.

I’m hoping in a few weeks the weather will change so that so that more of my free time can be spent on the golf course.  There, I said it.  I’m addicted to golf.   I’ve heard that the first step is just admitting.

What motto do you live by?
That’s deep.   I’m not sure I have a motto (at least one I can put on paper).   If I had one, it would probably be Hakuna Matada.   Or maybe, drive for show, putt for dough.

How do you maintain such a laidback attitude while drinking all that black Starbuck’s?
Ancient family secret…..