People You Should Know – Denise Hudson

How long have you been working at Simpson?
I have worked full-time in the Business office 6 years and prior to that, part-time 9 months for EW&G.

What exactly does your job entail?
I am the Accounts Receivable Coordinator for the Business Office.  My primary responsibility is working with our part-time students and their billing issues.  Many of our part-time students have Employer Tuition Reimbursement, and I help them through that process; others are on payment plans, and I monitor that process.  I work with Ginger Herm0n here in Indianola, Paula Palmer in the WDM campus, and Becky Armstrong in the Ankeny campus assisting them with various cashiering issues as well as helping them take care of our PT students on their campuses.

I also work with the PSEOA program, local high school students taking Simpson classes for both their high school diploma requirements as well as college credit.  I work with Rhonda Pooley, our Veterans certifying official for Simpson, in getting our veteran students their money to help pay their tuition accounts.  I am the back-up cashier for Kathy Shafer, working with all departments on campus in processing their funds and working with our bank in processing payments and balancing our daily accounts.  I assist Sherri Aldridge when things get busy in here, answering some of the full-time student and parent questions.

Where are you from?
Born and raised in Omaha, NE

What makes working at Simpson unique?
Most definitely the people – from students, to staff to faculty!  I love getting to know the different personalities and how to engage and work with them in positive and specific ways!  I also like the closeness in proximity to my home and the fabulous benefit package Simpson provides!

What do you enjoy most about working with adult students?
I appreciate their communication skills!  They are usually very quick to respond, and they take care of business!  They usually are very organized because of the multiple plates they have to balance in their busy lives!

Please tell us about your family and how you like to spend your free time.
I have been married to my college sweetheart, Steve, for 30 years this year!  Our oldest, Chris, just got married, is expecting his first child, has worked at Principal Financial for 8 years and is a current student in Simpson’s EWG program.  Our youngest, Emilie, is a freshman in Simpson’s traditional program and is enjoying all of her classes!

I enjoy my job, spending time with my family, shopping with my daughter and traveling.

What is your favorite vacation spot, favorite book, and/or favorite film?
I enjoy any vacation spot where my family is, a nice hotel and nearby museums and shopping opportunities!  I especially like the mountains and unique areas of the United States.  I am a sap for romantic comedies which makes it a little more difficult to go to movies with my husband who enjoys sci-fi and action, but the popcorn is always good! J