Koss Finds Way To Match Major With Dreams

Photo Credit to Heather Smith

Sylvia Koss is a driven senior at Simpson College who has been working hard to match her passion for music with her integrated marketing communications major. Koss is a promotions intern this semester with the Clear Channel Communications radio team.

“I stumbled upon this internship on accident and applied because I needed a few more credits. It’s been one of the best experiences I’ve ever had,” Koss says, “I’m in the industry I want and glad I took the chance and applied for it.”

With this internship, she has been able to gain skills in production and company promotions. Her production skills include creating fills for Capital 106.3, on-air content for the online stream, and scheduling of music. Throughout her internship she has also been able to sit in on meetings to hear how they sell their advertising packages to the client and how they make it work with various groups, such as Neuro and the Iowa Cubs.

The communications and media studies department has helped Koss greatly with the principles needed for this position. She has been able to take the principles that she learned through course work and student media experiences and apply them in a situation involving her own interests, in this case music.

Koss offered up some advice to future and present interns in regards to trying new things within the internship.

• Be open to learning new things.
  • Be willing to do any and all tasks thrown your way. Your willingness to complete these tasks will show that you are dedicated to this internship and willing to take the extra steps.
  • Keep a positive attitude and do your best at all times because you don’t know whose watching. That person may be a reference on your resume or your next employer.

Want more information about internships? Contact one of our faculty members.