Simpson Student Media journalists scored their best results in years Thursday night, bringing home 17 Iowa College Media Association awards to campus.
“I’ve been advising student media at Simpson since 1989, and this has been as hard-working a group as I’ve known,” said Brian Steffen, chair of the Department of Communication & Media Studies and director of Simpson Student Media. “I’m so pleased to see the quality of their work recognized by professionals around the nation.”
The awards include three ICMA honors for KSTM-FM student radio — the first-ever statewide awards for the campus station.
First-place winners from Simpson included:
- Nicole Gilbert, first place in Best News Photo.
- Aaron Young, two first places — one in Best Sports Story and the other in Best Sports Feature Story.
- Zach James and Jesse Stewart, first place in Best Sports Broadcast.
- Ben Rodgers, first place in Best Investigative News Story.
Others winners from Simpson Student Media include:
- Zach James and Tyler Crandell, third place in Best Sports Story.
- Kate Hayden, honorable mention in Best Feature Photo and third place in Best Opinion Writing.
- Sarina Rhinehart, third place in Best News Photo.
- Megan Quick, third place in Best Feature Story and third place in Best News Story.
- Jazmin Rubel, third place in Best Online Edition.
- Jesse Stewart, honorable mention in Best Radio Newscast.
- Sylvia Koss, second place in Best Opinion Writing and third place in Best Headline Writing.
- Maddie Boswell, third place in Best Photojournalism Portfolio.
Simpson Student Media includes three brands of student-produced and student-led content at Simpson: The Simpsonian student newspaper and TheSimpsonian.com website, ID Magazine and KSTM-FM.
A total of 40 students are on staff this spring term, working out of newly renovated facilities at Simpson’s new Gaumer Center.
Grant Rodgers is the editor-in-chief of the Simpsonian, and Jesse Stewart is station manager of KSTM-FM.
Want to know more? Contact one of our faculty members.