Simpson: After the First Year

Eight months ago, a new class of Simpson students walked through the gates. Several new communication and media studies majors were welcomed to Simpson College campus. As the year went on, new friends were made, strengths were found, and majors were chosen.

James Tillison, a first year from Ada, Oklahoma, has set new standards for the swim team by assisting the team to many wins this season. He is an integrated marketing communications major hoping to gain experience for a radio or newspaper career in the future. “I think the Communications and Media Studies department is very well set up,” Tillison says. “It gives me the chance to feel what it would be in the working world and gives me ideas of what I would be doing.”

Tillison is very involved in student media. As a writer for both ID Magazine and the Simpsonian, as well as an on-air personality for KSTM, he finds himself immersed in media outlets. “I have thoroughly enjoyed my practicum course this year and having the chance to write for the Simpsonian,” Tillison said.

Jacy Gomez, a first year from Indianola, Iowa, has found great success as the nation’s top public forum debater. Gomez is excited about the upcoming public relations major that Simpson will be offering. “The Communications and Media Studies department is one that I really want to stick with,” she says. “There are strong professors who provide a lot of interest in their subjects.”

Gomez would love to see the debate program expand with more debaters, as well as more competitions. Her favorite course she has taken was at Simpson was her Simpson Colloquium course, American Journalism and Democracy. “I found my interest in communication with this course,” Gomez says. “It was great to learn how big service is in our communities.”

To learn about how you can create your career with Communications and Media Studies, contact one of our faculty members!