Sylvia Koss: Clear Channel Communications

Photo by Alejandro Caballero

What has she been doing?
Sylvia Koss, a senior Integrated Marketing Communications major, is currently interning with Clear Channel Communications in Des Moines, Iowa.  As part of her internship, Sylvia has inserted imaging into the logs for Capital 106.3, helped with on-air content for 107.5 KISS FM, and assisted with both meet-and-greets and concerts.  As a fun means of networking, through this internship, Sylvia met Britt Nicole, went bowling with Wallpaper, saw Air Dubai in concert, and stood less than 10 feet from Carly Rae Jepsen.

What strengths did she gain within the position?
Through this internship, Sylvia has developed independent leadership and time management.  After her supervisor assigned her tasks, she knew it was up to her to prioritize her work to get everything done on time.

What does her supervisor have to say about her work?
Daphne Haselhun, Promotions Director for Clear Channel Communications, shared the following quote: “Sylvia has become more outgoing and her verbal communication has improved.  She continues to soak up as much knowledge as possible by coming in and working with different staff members throughout the day to learn as much as she can.”

How did she find out about this internship?
Sylvia found out about the Clear Channel internship purely by accident. She was listening to 107.5 KISS FM online when she saw the internship link. After looking at the link, she realized the internship offered learning opportunities she couldn’t pass up.

Why does she think internships are important?
According to Sylvia, “Internships are the reason you go to college. Meeting people and gaining education within the classroom are important as well, but you really can’t put a price on the real-world experiences and networking you gain from an internship. I came into my senior year confused about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I knew I wanted to be Kelly Clarkson’s tour manager, but I didn’t have a realistic goal because I didn’t know what I was interested in. Since working at Clear Channel, I have a clearer idea of the various careers I could pursue within the industry I love, which is music.”