Victoria Jones: Big Green Umbrella Media Inc.

What has she been doing?
Victoria Jones, a senior Multimedia Journalism major, has been busy this semester interning with Big Green Umbrella Media Inc., which includes Central Iowa’s weekly alternative newspaper, Cityview, as well as 20-plus Iowa Living Magazines throughout the state. As part of her internship, Victoria wrote a piece for the “Best of Des Moines Eats” section, profiled West End Salvage in the Belly Up section, investigated policed reports within the Cityview Rapsheet section and municipal bills in the It’s Money section. She also created content for the faith column for as many as 14 monthly Iowa Living Magazines. Victoria also had the opportunity to network with professionals in her field by attending such events as the “Best Of Des Moines” annual gala (see photo).

What strengths did she gain within the position?
In order to succeed in her position, Victoria has had to be organized, take initiative, and manage her time to meet deadlines.

What does her supervisor have to say about her work?
Amber Williams, Managing Editor, shared the following quote, “Victoria’s positive, can-do attitude is the first attribute that is sure to contribute to her success in life, regardless of the field she chooses. In addition to that, it was exciting to watch her grow as a writer and a reporter over the course of her internship. I hope to see her name in local news and magazine bylines in the future, especially in one of our many publications. It’s bittersweet to see her go. I am a proud mentor, but she will be missed.”

How did she find out about this internship?
Victoria found out about her internship through Simpson’s CareerPaths website. All current students can access this online job-bulletin to search for internships, part and full time jobs, and career-related events.  To learn more about an internship with Big Green Umbrella Media Inc. you can also contact Amber Williams by email at amber@dmcityview.com.

What advice does she have for current students?
Victoria suggested, “Don’t wait until your senior year like me. I wish I would have started sooner when I had more time instead of waiting until my last semester when I had ten thousand other things to worry about. I’ve also seen through experience that networking, meeting people, and building personal relationships are very important.”