Getting to Know: Jim Palmieri, Professor of Economics

You want to know who your professors are?  We sat down and asked!

Who are you?

Jim Palmieri

What is your field of study and teaching?

Economics

Sub-areas of interest?

Policy Evaluation, Asset Development and Inequality, Health Policy, Behavioral Economics

What classes do you teach?

Principles of Economics, Econometrics, Advanced Microeconomics, Health Economics, Labor Economics, Eberhart Student Aid Fund, Environmental Economics, Economics of Poverty

May Term is really popular at Simpson.  Have you led any May Term courses?

In May 2013, I taught the course “Make an Impact: Social and Economic Development in Belize”  I’ve also led courses in China and Argentina.

Tell us about your family.

Elyse Demaray, my wife, and 2 cats – Sooty and Mocha

What else should we know about you?

I want students to enjoy economics and to use what they learn in their lives.  Economics is so useful, and economics majors are in big demand.  I thoroughly enjoy working with students whether it’s in class, in my office or on a study abroad experience.  In May 2013 I led a group of 18 students to Punta Gorda, a small town in southern Belize.  While there, the students taught at 4 different schools and some of them did tutoring in small groups as well.  I am so proud of the group; they worked hard and made a big impact on the children they served.

I led the 2010 Semester in Argentina for Simpson, and enjoy the Argentinian tradition of drinking mate (pronounced “ma tay”) with a large group of people and talking for hours.  Active conversation keeps us all sharp!

When I’m not interacting with students, you’ll likely find me watching a movie in Des Moines or doing some yoga.  I LOVE to travel, and I’m always looking forward to my next experience abroad. 

Thanks Professor!  We’ll be featuring a professor profile each week this summer, including profiles of the three new faculty members joining the department in the fall.