Getting to Know: Grace Christensen ’14

Rising senior Grace Christensen has a great summer ahead of her!  She’s getting ready for her last year at Simpson and she has the pleasure of working at Arnolds Park Amusement Park in northern Iowa, on Lake Okoboji.  Grace took some time to tell us more about her internship at Arnolds Park and reflect on her time at Simpson.

Tell us about your internshipKids and Ferris Wheel at Arnolds Park

I got connected with the marketing internship through a friend who was the same intern last summer. My boss, Di Lorenzen is awesome. She assigns me certain projects and tasks daily to work on.

The biggest project I have been involved in so far has been helping start up a Birthday Party room inside the park. I was responsible for creating a flyer, poster, and press release for the Party Room for potential customers. I also ordered all the decorations and typed up details of what should be placed on our website for the Birthday Party Room. Now, we are just waiting for someone to book the room!

I also created flyers and will be in charge of our monthly “Family Fun Night” in June, July, and August. “Family Fun Night” is held out on our green space called Preservation Plaza. The event will allow families to bring their kids to the Plaza to participate in a fun activity such as a sidewalk chalk drawing contest, sand castle contest, or kite-flying. Everyone in attendance at family fun night also receives free merchandise. In June, kids will receive a free kite and a free Roller Coasters at Arnolds Parkyo-yo! I’m very excited to be a part of this event!

Every weekend, the Park also has concerts on Preservation Plaza. I will work at every concert handing out free t-shirts, taking pictures, and just interacting with the crowd. For each concert, I also created a press release and email blast to send to all of Arnolds Park Amusement Park’s media outlets, sponsors, and donors.

Along with these many activities and events I get to be apart of, the one I am most looking forward to is called Making Waves for Children. Arnolds Park Amusement Park, along with many sponsors in the area teamed up with Sandford Hospital to bring kids suffering a severe illness, and their families, to Arnolds Park Amusement Park to play in the Park and participate in other activities within the area, such as playing in the water park at Bridges Bay Resort, enjoying a pizza party, and playing Bingo with awesome prizes. I’m really looking forward to helping out at this event!

What about your experiences at Simpson?  What have you been involved in on campus?

I chose Simpson because I like its smaller size and being able to talk to my professors about certain assignments or projects face to face was important to me. I also love how close Simpson is to Des Moines!

I was a member of the Simpsonian as its copy editor, and I enjoy playing intramural co-ed indoor volleyball and co-ed sand volleyball at Simpson. My favorite class was probably Intro to Communication Studies with Lisa Carponelli because it was the class that made me want to continue to pursue a degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. She made the class so much fun, and I learned a ton!

Thanks to Grace for giving us the scoop on summer activities at Arnolds Park!  Head up there this summer and say hi.