Getting to Know: Matt Nichols ’15

Matt Nichols is a rising junior from Urbandale, Iowa.  He is studying Economics: Finance and Mathematics.  His focus on finance has led to an interest in careers in securities brokerage, fund management or financial advising.

How I Got into Finance/Business

My dad got me involved in online stock trading in high school, and I was instantly hooked on investing. I continued trading through my first two years of college, and also began trading stock options and commodities futures during my sophomore year. I grew to enjoy anything involving business or finance, especially fundamental and technical analysis of investments.

Experience in the Business Field

A huge aspect of my financial experience has been through online securities trading. I’ve traded stocks, futures, options, etc. for the last few years. I have gained not only experience in trading but I’ve also found my passion and future career path. I have also been involved in unique trading opportunities, such as the 2013 CME Commodities Trading Challenge. In this worldwide competition, four other Simpson students and I competed against 324 schools across the globe in a three-week futures-trading competition. Our team gained a huge amount of experience trading on the world-renown CQG IC trading system, and we advanced as high as 7th in the world.

Aside from investing, I have gained business experience through jobs and internships. I’m currently the project lead for the Green Financial Exchange (GFEX) project through Simpson’s business incubator, Emerge. In this position, I trade renewable energy certificates on the gTrader online trading platform, move markets through publications on social media sites, recruit potential clients, and manage client portfolios. I am also an intern with Vision Financial Group. In this position, I meet with potential clients, learn financial planning strategies, manage financial plans and portfolios, and gain real-world experience in a potential future career as a financial advisor.

I have also gained a great deal of business experience through my involvement with 7 officers of the Enactus Group 2012-2013Enactus at Simpson. As Enactus’ Vice President and representative on the Student Organizational Board, my involvement has brought growth in areas of business expertise, leadership, and community involvement. Through Enactus, I also meet countless contacts outside of Simpson, and I gained excellent experience working with members of the community and the business world.

Other Activities

Outside of school, I work as a student ambassador in the office of admissions at Simpson. I also serve and bartend at Glen Oaks Country Club and roof houses on weekends.

I am extensively involved in RLC at Simpson, playing in the Quench band and leading Calm Café every week. I also am involved in countless intramural sports. I enjoy doing just about everything in my free time, and my favorite activities include playing sports and video games, cycling, and playing guitar.

Thanks Matt!  He’s a humble guy, so we’ll point out that Matt also won the Outstanding Junior for the 2012-2013 academic year!  We’re excited to see what success Matt finds in his last year at Simpson and in his career.