Getting to Know: Ryan Rohlf ’14

Ryan has been an active member of the Simpson College community from the start of his time here in 2010.  Ryan chatted with us earlier this week about his current project – an internship with the Des Moines Arts Festival®.

So Ryan, what are you doing this summer?

Since the beginning of May, I’ve been working for the Des Moines Arts Festival®. Our offices are located in the Greater Des Moines Partnership building. It’s been a blast, and I can’t believe the Festival is almost here.  The Festival is June 28-30-I’d love to see Simpson students and alums out in force! 

Any particular projects you’ve been working on?

One of the big projects I’ve worked on was making the program for the Festival.  We finished the major work last weekend, and it was sent to print on Tuesday. My task was working on the layout and design for the program.  That’s one of the best things about working for a non-profit – I get to do work of real value that I can add to my portfolio.

What are you involved in on campus?

I’ve completed a few internships during my time at Simpson.  In the spring, I interned with  Simpson’s Department of Marketing and Public Relations.  That experience was another one where I had the opportunity to create some lasting materials for my portfolio.  I’ve also interned at a corporate training firm where I developed layout designs for their training materials.Relgious Life Community

On campus I’m involved with the Public Relations Student Society of America, the Student Alumni Association and the Religious Life Community.  I’ve been able to use the graphic design and communication skills I’ve learned to help these groups as well.

You’re going to be a senior in the fall, anything fun on the horizon?

I’m headed to London in September with Professor Brian Steffen and some other amazing students.  We’ll be taking classes at the University of Roehampton in addition to the two with Professor Steffen.  I’m excited to learn more about British culture through coursework and the folks I’ll be living with in the dorms. I will be focusing on learning more about British Advertising Culture.

When I get back in the spring, I’ll take the final courses for my majors in Integrated Marketing Communications and Marketing and begin looking for a full-time position after graduation.  I’m hoping to get a position at a local advertising agency or television network in account management.  The experiences I’ve had through my coursework and internships through Simpson have augmented my portfolio and given me great preparation, so I’m hopeful!

Thanks Ryan!  Good luck at the Arts Festival!

Thanks. I’d like to leave a few last words if I could: When I came to Simpson, I thought I’d have maybe one internship, after my junior year. Needless to say, because of our AWESOME faculty and staff, my plans changed. I got really serious about professional development and preparing myself to land a job after graduation. I would have never DREAMED of having all the amazing opportunities I have had if it wasn’t for Simpson.

Simpson College changed my life. It taught me to dream big, work hard and be all I can be. I’m so thankful I chose Simpson!!