Getting to Know: Shane Cox, Assistant Professor of Accounting

Getting to Know: Shane Cox.  We’re continuing our series of faculty profiles this week with Professor Cox.  Look for a new profile each Wednesday this summer!

Who are you?

Shane Cox

What is your field of study and teaching?

Accounting

Sub-areas of interest?

Auditing and Financial Reporting

What classes do you teach?

Introduction to Accounting, Intermediate Accounting I, Individual Income Taxes,Taxation-

Professor Cox discusses the book with students

Business Entities, and the Capstone in Accounting.  In Fall 2013, I’m teaching the Composing Your Life Simpson Colloquium Course and in May 2013, I taught the Too Big To Fail May Term Course looking at the financial collapse of 2008.

Tell us about your family.

I live on the Southside of Des Moines in a home that has been in the family for approximately 60 years with my furry family: two miniature schnauzers - Hanz and Dublin, and two cats – Zippo and Mio.  I love the neighborhood which I grew up in, the close proximity to downtown Des Moines, and the vast opportunities for enjoyment that Polk county provides.

What else should we know about you?

I served in the US Navy after my high school graduation for four years.  I was based in San Diego and had the opportunity to deploy twice to Southeast Asia.  My time in the Navy instilled a strong sense of patriotism and love for our country.  I am a big believer in citizens staying engaged in the political process and exercising their rights under the constitution. I strongly advocate for the full expression of free speech and accordingly believe that no opinions should be silenced whether in politics, the workplace, or within the classroom.  Suppression of free speech in any setting, for any reason frustrates me greatly.

Outside of the classroom, I’m an avid fan of Mixed Martial Arts and the Ultimate Fighting Championship.  My favorite fighters are Nick Diaz and Cain Velasquez.  I also enjoy nature-and I spend much of my time outside hiking and catching up on my reading.

I teach because I love to see people succeed.  Also, I believe accounting is the greatest profession that exists and love to see young adults begin their careers in it.  The career opportunities are vast and diverse.  Simpson has a great relationship with the business community in Des Moines and beyond and we continue to see our students get jobs in major corporations and the large accounting firms.  I love to see these individuals take advantage of the stable and respectable career path that accounting can bring.