Getting to Know: Kyle Frisch ’14

Kyle Frisch is a rising Simpson senior studying Business Management and Sports Administration.  He has played for the Simpson Storm football team as well. This summer Kyle is up in the northern woods of Minnesota interning at Tuscarora Lodge and Canoe Outfitters.  He’ll tell you more about it!

Kyle, what does a normal day for you look like this summer?

Being an outfitter consists of driving or towing people to and from entry points into the boundary waters. When I say towing I am referring to driving people in motorboats to the American-Canadian border so they can paddle into the Quetico, which is the same thing as the boundary waters but on the Canadian side instead of American side. Another aspect of being an outfitter is packing all the gear guests need for their trip into the boundary waters. Also, after they return from their trip we have to clean all the gear they used.

How did you hear about the internship?

I heard about this opportunity at Tuscarora through the internet. I was just searching for a summer job on a boundary waters forum, and the job at Tuscarora was one of the most appealing jobs I found.

Outside of working at Tuscarora, what are you doing this summer?

I work six days a week so this doesn’t leave a lot of time for doing stuff away from work, but when I do get my one day off a week I go on overnight canoe trips. I really enjoy fishing so I try to get out Boundary Watersfishing as much as I can. Usually two to three employees get the same day off a week so we will go together on overnight canoe trips together. We also have a lot of bonfires with employees from other outfitters. All the outfitters on the Gunflint Trail have to work together a lot so we all know each other very well. Another thing we do is play frisbee and go swimming on Sunday nights in Grand Marais which is right on Lake Superior. Grand Marais is the nearest town and it’s an hour away so it’s always fun to go into town.

What advice do you have for students looking for summer internships?

My advice would be to really do your research when looking for an internship. It is really important to know what you are getting into when looking for an internship, and the more research you do for different internships the more likely you are to find an internship that fits you.