Getting to Know: Professor Marilyn Mueller

After a vacation in the southwest, Professor Mueller is back in Indianola for the summer; she took some time to chat with us about her background.

What is your field of study and Teaching?

Management and Law

Do you have any areas of specialization that fall into this field?

Law, Strategy and Entrepreneurship

What classes do you teach?

Business Law, Business Ethics I and II, Small Business Management, Organization and Behavior and the Senior Seminar in Strategy Capstone for the Management Major

What can you tell us about your family?

My spouse Bob, I and “Lexi the Wonderdog” live in rural Dallas County.  Our kids (Cullen, Evan, Ben and Julie) are grown and on their own! 

What else should we know about you?

My background is in both law and business.  I have been lucky to have had a variety of interesting and challenging jobs throughout my career – including spending three years working in the State Capitol Building in law and government, working at a large law firm in the corporate, property and tax division,  being part of a legal aid office and being of counsel with a solo practitioner.    My passions involve small business and entrepreneurship.  I love to do anything I can to help small business owners and entrepreneurs grow and develop their businesses while showing my students business ownership and entrepreneurship as a career path for them.  Some of my travels have taken me to into entrepreneurial communities abroad – including Nicaragua, China and India. 

On campus I love working with Enactus Regional and Simpson Outstanding Organization Trophiesstudents in my classes, internships and student organizations.  Enactus is one of the student organizations I help advise (www.enactususa.org)  and Emerge@Simpson is one of the areas where my students intern on campus in an intensely entrepreneurial environment.   

I am a proud “Cheese Head” from Wisconsin, grew up working in our family’s business (dairy farm) and root for the Packers!