People You Should Know – Todd Little

How long have you been working at Simpson?
I’ve been working at Simpson in the Hawley Academic Resource Center since June 1998.

What exactly does your job entail?
Besides overseeing the general operation of the Hawley Academic Resource Center, I work with students with disabilities and coordinate the requested accommodations which might be required in the classroom and assist in the activities associated with international students and specifically work with their travel documents and other non-immigrant regulations. In addition, I also work with students who are on academic probation, meet with students regarding academic progress, and provide guidance to students related to academic advising which complements the role of the faculty advisors. Beyond my duties associated with the Hawley Center, I also serve as an adjunct instructor within the department of Computer Science which allows me the opportunity to teach several courses each academic year.

Where are you from?
I grew up in a small town called Somers which is located west of Fort Dodge in Iowa. For the past 12 years, I’ve been living in Indianola with my family.

What makes working at Simpson unique?
Within my position, I have the opportunity to interact with many full- and part-time students as well as other administrators and faculty members. Each day can bring new opportunities to provide assistance and guidance to students. Every student brings their own unique experiences and situations which brings different encounters each day.

What do you enjoy most about working with adult students?
Students within the EW&G office provide a different perspective for me. The students are often working full-time, have families, and other responsibilities and commitments which may be different than the traditional, full-time students I work with on the main campus. Often, this requires these students to be more focused within their classes and I often experience students who can be more motivated to complete their studies due to personal and professional aspects.

Please tell us about your family and how you like to spend your free time.
I have been married for 17 years and have two children (ages 14 and 5) who are enrolled in the Indianola community school district. During my free time, I enjoy my leisure reading, watching my favorite TV shows, and of course, hanging out with the family.

What is your favorite vacation spot, favorite book, and/or favorite film?
My favorite vacation spot would probably be the trip to the island of Kauai (one of the Hawaii islands) with my wife a few years ago, but I’ve also enjoyed my family trips to the Wisconsin Dells and Black Hills over the past couple of summers. In regards to a favorite book and film, I have always been a fan of the Star Wars films and books, so they would be ranked fairly high on my list. However, I have also liked several stories by Stephen King and enjoy the movies, Thirteen Days, Catch Me if You Can, The Green Mile, Unforgiven, and The Shawshank Redemption.