Madison Boswell ’14: Finding passion through communications

Madison Boswell ’14 found her home at Simpson College through Iowa Private College Week.

“I fell in love with the campus and the people here,” she said. “It felt like home here.”

She has made her time at Simpson College worth it and has experiences to show for it. Boswell is an integrated marketing communications with a creative concentration and stays involved with Simpson Student Media. She currently serves as The Simpsonian’s photography editor and stays on top of her game, producing quality photos for each week’s issue. She also manages a photography staff, showing them the ropes of how to capture photos that can tell a story.

Outside of Simpson College, Boswell has made Des Moines a place to further her skills in communications. Through Simpson’s connections, Boswell secured internships each summer, some continuing during the fall.

“I have had the opportunity to have many internships while in college,” she said. “They have all been different learning experiences and I have grown so much from working in each capacity. My internship with the Iowa State Fair is definitely the most memorable. My internship with the Blue Ribbon Foundation gave me so much experience. I was able to work behind the scenes of the biggest attraction in Iowa and see what it takes to be a part of such an amazing event. I fell in love with the Iowa State Fair.”

She loved the Iowa State Fair so much and returned as a volunteer in the summer of 2013.

Boswell has also been involved in public relations from a higher education perspective. She serves as an intern for Simpson College’s Office of Marketing and Public Relations.

“With a passion for higher education and a goal to work for a college or university PR department, this experience has been perfect,” she said. “I have learned so much and have gained great portfolio pieces.”

She has created many brochures, written many stories and even worked on some video work.

This experience has also helped her figure out potential career goals.

“Ideally I would love to work in higher education in a public relations department or alumni relations,” she said. “I am graduating a semester early, but love the college environment. I would love to continue being apart of higher education. I believe having a college degree has value and the college experience itself teaches us so much. I am not ready to leave this behind yet.”

Boswell encourages many students to seek and seize every opportunity possible.

“Take every opportunity to get involved and try something new,” she said. “You never know what you will come to love or what can lead to a new friendship or professional connection. Being busy is hard with studying, but I will never regret staying very involved with so many activities at Simpson and by doing so many internships, I have met lifelong friends and have had life changing experiences along the way.”