London Has a Way with Food

I’m going to dispel an American myth about the food in England. Right now. To be honest, it’s not as bad as everyone says. I was prepared to experience the worst, but I really haven’t found anything that is especially bad. It’s definitely different than American food, but that comes with the territory. In fact, they have a lot of good dishes here: fish n’ chips, beans on toast, shepherd’s pie, and pork pie to name a few.

Catching a bite to eat at a great Chinese place.

Catching a bite to eat at a great Chinese place in Chinatown.

With the diversity of the city, there are also loads of international cuisines. And when you have the chance to taste authentic Indian or Ethiopian food, you kind of have to try it to find out what you’ve been missing.

The best place to get your international food fix? You’ll definitely find it at one of London’s markets. In my opinion, that’s the best place to get it. For one, it’s cheaper than going to a restaurant (believe me). At the markets, though, you can usually find some pretty awesome street music as well.

Don’t fret if you need to get your American food fix. You can find a taste of home on just about every street corner. There are McDonalds, Burger King, and KFC restaurants pretty much everywhere. I suppose that comes in handy if you’re a picky eater, too. But where’s the fun in that?

Part of any study abroad experience is trying new things. So naturally, trying some new types of foods made it to the top of my list. And it’s amazing to have the opportunity to try so many different types of food. I’ll be honest; I’ve never been very adventurous with food. But hey, I’ve been learning to adapt to a completely different culture. I think I can handle some new foods in my life.