The Best Diversity Experience… Ever!

London is a city filled with diversity. And what better way to experience that diversity than to actually live on a university campus. That’s definitely one of the best parts about our program. Studying at Roehampton gives us a chance to meet students from all different walks of life.

I’m in classes with people that have completely different views from me. They’re from all over the world, and they have some pretty awesome backgrounds. It’s a big change from what I’m used to in Iowa. Don’t get me wrong I love Iowa, but there’s just something amazing about the way London can broaden your perspective.

I know that probably sounds really cheesy. Like, what’s the point of that? Isn’t that what school is for? I mean, at Simpson we take diversity classes and it’s part of our curriculum. It’s kind of expected that we have a broad worldview, right? That’s what I thought too, until I arrived in London. There’s just no substitute for an experience like this. Book learning is great, but you can only learn so much. An experience is priceless.

I spent a day learning about Hampton Court Palace with some new friends from Germany and France.

Spending the day learning about Hampton Court Palace with some new friends from Germany and France.

I’ve spent a lot of time interacting with my peers at Roehampton, and it’s truly been an eye-opening experience. I’ve been able to learn so much from the new friends I’ve made here, and I’m extremely thankful for that. I’ve learned more about their cultures. I’ve learned about what they think of Americans. And I’ve definitely spent some time rethinking my views on certain things we do in America.

Though the old Simpson Experience Abroad in London was great, having the opportunity to live among peers from all different countries makes this experience truly amazing! New friends, a fantastic experience, and a completely different worldview; what more could a person ask for?