London: Safe and Sound

It’s amazing how time flies. I know that’s cliché. But, wow! I only have a month left in London, and there are just so many things I will miss. I think the main thing I will miss, though, is the safety of the city. I would have never thought I would be comfortable going out on my own in a city like London.

I’m sure that sounds crazy to some of you. Heck, two months ago it would have sounded crazy to me! London is a big city, so naturally I expected it to be similar to New York City or Chicago. I wasn’t expecting anything to happen to me, but I figured I wouldn’t feel very comfortable going places alone. There are a lot of crowded areas in the city, so I just assumed there would be a lot of crime. Let’s just say that was a bad assumption on my part.

That’s not to say there isn’t any crime in London. There is, and it’s something that the city even acknowledges. They have adverts in busses, in trains and in other crowded areas reminding people to keep an eye on their belongings. Because when it starts to get crowded, people end up getting a little closer. And of course that’s typically when people get pickpocketed. As long as you have an eye on your belongings, though, there is nothing to worry about.

Another measure that the city uses to keep people safe is security cameras. You can find them pretty much everywhere. You’ll find them on the street corners, in the busses and trains and in just about every shop. We even have one in the entrance of our flat building! There are also signs posted everywhere notifying people that there are security cameras in operation.

Personally, I think it’s pretty cool that the city and its businesses are making such an effort to keep people safe. They don’t try to hide that there is crime. Instead, they take a proactive stance by reminding people that they need to be mindful of their things. The publicity that is created also acts as a criminal deterrent.

As a small town Iowa kid, I really didn’t know what to expect in London. I honestly was a little bit uneasy before I arrived. After all, I’d never lived in a city as large as London. Once I saw all the ads and the security measures London takes to deter crime, I definitely found myself resting a little easier. And for those of you thinking about London in 2015, I hope you’ll rest a little bit easier knowing that London is a very safe city.