Finding her way in divinity school

From a Communication & Media Studies degree to divinity school? Why not? asked Erin Guzman. While studying at Simpson, Erin was passionately involved with the Religious Life Community, and religion courses with Professors Jan Everhart, Mark Gammon, and Maeve Callan struck a chord that ended with matriculation to the Vanderbilt University Divinity School.

Thinking back to her time at Simpson, Erin focuses on the big picture things she learned. She worked for the Simpsonian as a sports writer and eventually became the layout editor. That position and her relationship with Communications professor Brian Steffen led to her job as Advertising Art Director in the Vanderbilt Student Media organization and doing public relations work for the Divinity School, but the lessons learned in the classroom pale in comparison to the life lessons learned. Erin explains, “I had a good time figuring out who I was at Simpson. I was really involved on campus but I wanted to explore different majors and career paths, and Simpson allowed me to do that. I’m still not sure where I’ll be when I finish at Vanderbilt, but I’m discovering who I am, what I’m passionate about, and where I see my gifts being most useful and that’s important to me.”

Erin explained that the path after Divinity School is not always a position in a church. Some will pursue pastoral care working with specific groups, college students for example, a position which interests Erin right now. But others go into teaching, non-profit work or to dramatically different fields.

We look forward to seeing where Erin goes after she graduates next May and we know it will be with purpose and she will be making the world a better place.

Erin’s always had a passion for ideas and for making a difference with her faith. She’s a great example of what students can do when they combine their passion — in her case, religion — with the skills of journalism and new media. –Professor Brian Steffen

More information about the other students in Erin’s class who matriculated at seminary or divinity schools.

1 Comment

1. Katie Z. Dawson on July 16, 2014

As a fellow Simpson grad AND Vanderbilt Divinity grad – this is wonderful! Thanks for highlighting the many places and ways there are to serve and find your voice!