Erin Domine: Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension

Written by Steffi Lee, Career Services Undergraduate Assistant

What was she up to?
Erin Domine spent her summer interning at the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, working on course evaluations, updating DARE officer databases, touring prisons and learning about their dispatch and lab.

What strengths did she gain within the position?
Within her position, she had the opportunity to organize everything for a Drug Enforcement Administration training exercise.  She also trained new employees in her assigned unit.  The internship also helped her improve her resume and cover letter, allowing her to prepare for future job interviews in this field.

What did her supervisor have to say about her work?
Tina Jones, Lead Training Coordinator, shared, “Erin has a great sense to jump in where needed and lead a project with little direction.  She is not afraid to ask questions when assistance is needed and always completed tasks before deadlines.”

How did she find out about this internship?
Erin found the position on her own, but worked with Simpson to finish obtaining this internship. “My adviser helped me with my application and resume to best fit the agency,” Erin said. “She gave me feedback from an employer’s viewpoint on the necessary components.”

What advice does she have for current students?
Erin said, “Students should intern because of the experiences they will have and skills they will learn from a potential future employer. Internships are also a great way to network between all of the people you will meet within your field of study. Even if students thinks they know exactly what they want to do after graduation, internships can show other potential options in relation to the students’ current interests.”

Does Erin think this internship made her more marketable for future employers?
Erin said the internship would definitely help her for her future. “I also feel that all of the experiences I had over the summer have shown me more of both the sworn and civilian positions in law enforcement including future career options.”

No Comments