Senior Applied Philosophy major Kate Morford presents paper at MUCH conference

Simpson senior Kate Morford presented an academic paper at the 5th Annual Midwest Undergraduate Conference in the Humanities (MUCH), held at Wartburg College on November 7, 2015.

Kate describes her project:

The project that I presented at MUCH this year is titled “Moral Understandings of Success” and it is also my senior seminar project for my Applied Philosophy major. Since this project is still being completed, I presented only my main topics and arguments in my paper. The beginning of my paper is about what Americans think the word ‘success’ means and therefore what values it holds for them. The next topic I discuss is the kinds of values that traditional ethics holds and how these values are comparable and also influential to our current notions of success. Finally, I present a new moral philosophy that encompasses a revolution of ethics–one that is about engaging a process that does not promote sexist, racist, or heterosexual values. This new set of values is what I ultimately advocate for and think should be applied to how we define success as a culture. Overall, this conference was beneficial for me in multiple ways. Not only did I get to practice public speaking but I also got immediate feedback and questions that were extremely helpful for the ongoing research I will be doing.

Congratulations, Kate!