Minnesota Native Finds Success at Simpson

Senior year is a confusing time for most college students around the nation—especially when the graduation date creeps up. Questions range from, “Should I change my major?” to “Is this even what I want to do?”

Ashley Smith, big-city Minnesota native has found even though she may still be unclear of her ‘dream job’ or career path—she is keeping her options open and finding what suits her skill set.

With Ashley’s leadership roles, and heavy involvement within various organizations on campus, one may wonder how she keeps a calm, cool and collected demeanor.

Smith expresses she is just taking it day by day.

Read the Q&A on one of our very own Simpson College multimedia communication students below.

Tell me a bit about yourself. What are your hobbies and passions as well as different volunteering efforts and causes you support?

Besides being a part of the newspaper, I am a member of Pi Beta Phi and SARA. I am very passionate about volunteering, especially in combating children’s illiteracy and sexual misconduct.

In my free time, I like to hang out with my friends. I’ve known my best friends at Simpson since day one — they’re like family to me.

What internship experience(s) have you had and where?

Currently, I am the editor-in-chief of The Simpsonian. Last semester, I was the editor-in-chief for ID Magazine.

The past two summers I have been an editorial and marketing intern for the Fork in the Road, a holistic living private practice. Also, this past summer and fall semester I’ve worked as an editorial assistant at Midwest Living Magazine, a Meredith publication.

Having solid internship experience, did it solidify your career path or did it make you think of other options?

I’ve always wanted to work for a magazine, but working in the field I’ve discovered other avenues. I’m a marketing major as well, and I’m thinking of getting a marketing internship this summer to see if I like the industry better.

I think content marketing would be a great place for me — combining both my journalism and marketing skills.

What made you choose Simpson College and the Multimedia Communications department?

I was the co-editor in chief of my high school newspaper and I always knew I wanted to major in journalism.

Choosing Simpson was tough however, as I’m from a large city in Minnesota. My high school was comprised of three grades and it is much bigger than Simpson! However, I don’t regret my choice — Simpson has been a great community to be a part of throughout my college years.

What is your dream job/career? What do you see yourself doing for the rest of your professional career?

Currently, I have no idea. I’d like to get a job at this point and then see where it takes me!

No Comments