Music, The Arts and PR

Last week, we featured Olivia Baxter who is a senior music and public relations double major. This week, we feature her partner in crime, Grace Peck, a junior double major in music and public relations with a minor in arts management.

Peck has also spent a majority of her time at Simpson nestled in the Amy Robertson music building perfecting her ability to hit the high notes and find success within the music major to fulfill her passions.

Grace found that the arts and public relations go hand-in-hand and it has fueled her passion and ambition to pursue a career in arts administration or break into the non-profit sector of this niche industry.

Just another example of how versatile the public relations and journalism industries you are. You can virtually take whatever your passionate about or whatever you’ve found your niche to be and take your extensive knowledge from either major and make something great from it. The opportunities are endless.

Read more about junior Grace Peck and how she has found success through the Simpson College multimedia communications major.

What is your favorite memory studying within the multimedia communications department?

I think my favorite memory is when The Simpsonian picked up a story I wrote for my Edit and Design class. That story was my first ever to be published.

What do you feel the Multimedia Communications department has done for your professional growth and academic growth that you don’t believe you would have elsewhere?

The multimedia communications department has helped me not only grow as a writer, but it’s helped me find something else I care about. I’ve also learned more about myself as a person.

I have a good relationship with the professors. Each of which are all very willing to give me constructive criticism on my work and push to do things I never thought I could. Coming in as a freshman, if someone would have told me I’d be writing for a school newspaper or a blog post for PRSSA, I never would’ve believed them.

What internship experience have you gained?

I will actually be doing my first internships this summer. One of the internships will be with the Hutchinson Health Foundation and the second one is with the Minnesota Opera Company.

I know with the foundation I will be doing a little bit of everything; writing press releases, updates for donors, event planning, data entry and so much more.

With Minnesota Opera, I’m not completely sure what I will be doing with them yet, but I’m hoping to start off by job shadowing and learning what it’s like to work in arts communications.

Where do you want to end up after graduation next year?

I am looking at graduate school for opera performance, but I would also love to find more opportunities in arts administration or some other form of non-profit. Eventually, I want to find a way to combine my passion for music and the arts with a career in communications or public relations.

No Comments