Student Spotlight: Trey McCoy

Not many Simpson students come in stacked with as much real-world experience as Trey McCoy. At the age of 18, the Centerville native decided to get his real estate license while attending Indian Hills Community College.

“Obtaining my real estate license has been by far the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Within real estate you learn difficult subjects such as financing, closing a property start to finish, and legal responsibilities of an agent. This knowledge isn’t typical for an 18-year-old fresh out of high school,” McCoy said.

McCoy said he learned a lot from his real estate experience and is just as involved in Simpson’s practicum courses such as the C Street Agency, and PRSSA. McCoy already has communication and relationship building experiences and he plans to expand them while at Simpson.

Read below to learn more about Trey McCoy!

What is your favorite memory from the Multimedia Communications Department? It would have to be Brian Steffen’s Introduction to Communication and Media Studies course. I enjoyed this course because a wide variety of topics were discussed, such as past and modern forms of communication, careers in media, and global perspectives on media. Another aspect of the course I enjoyed was the civic engagement aspect. Students taking this course are required to participate in a Facebook group, attend events on campus, and complete various assignments throughout the course. This course also provides students with a first look at the variety of professional opportunities awaiting Multimedia Communication graduates. I highly recommend taking this course.

How have the classes in the Multimedia Communications Department helped you in your professional development?  As a transfer student, I made the decision to come to Simpson, so that I can have close relationships with professors and classmates within my academic department. This would not have been possible at a large university. The Multimedia Communications Department does a great job of connecting current students with alumni and they also encourage students to attend events to better extend their professional development.

Any internship experiences? I’m currently an Administrative Intern at Capital Crossroads within the Greater Des Moines Partnership in Downtown for the spring semester. My internship consists of working on the Capital Crossroads website, social media posts, newsletters, and working on various projects. Working at the Partnership has been a great experience for me. I have met several successful people and learned how important the Partnership is to the Des Moines Area. Recently, I have been interviewing for summer internships around the Des Moines area and hope to secure one soon. Being a PR major, I hope to work in a corporate setting compared to an agency or non-profit.

What are you looking to do after Simpson? I’m a small-town boy with big-city dreams. I hope to secure a Marketing/Communications career within a large corporate setting. I’m looking at the Dallas, TX and Nashville, TN areas for after graduation. I have family in both states, so it would be nice to see them more often and enjoy the nice weather. I have also considered going to graduate school or possibly getting back in the real estate world.