Emma Gerdis: The Des Moines Arts Festival

Who do you work for?

The Des Moines Arts Festival

What do you do?

I am one of four interns for this Spring/Summer. My title is Program Intern so I coordinate and do all the communication with the various programs within the festival. The main two programs that I do are the Student Art Exhibition and the Community Outreach Program. I also complete data and logs for the food vendors, emerging Iowa artists, and the 180 artists that get chosen for the festival each year.

What does a typical day include at your site?

A typical day is answering emails, opening mail, adding information into spread sheets, lots and lots of meeting and communication with different businesses as well as people.

How did you find out about your internship?

I found out about it through Career Path as well as seeing the application online.

Why do you feel the internship is important?

I think this internship is super important because its helping me find out what I want to do with my major (Public Relations) since you can do so much with it. It’s also helping me find out what I don’t like as well.

What are your next steps?

My next steps are to keeping working there throughout the Summer and hopefully look for internships in the same field for next fall! 

Edited and Graphic Designed by Baillee Furst