Academic Advising in the Department of Music

The duties of academic advising will fall generally to full-time faculty members in the Department of Music. The College’s Advising Handbook is a thorough and effective resource to guide both advisors and those being advised.

The College requires that every student have an academic advisor (faculty) in the department in which they major. Thus, all music majors must have an official academic advisor on the Music faculty when they declare their major. The department’s current policy is to allow students to ask any eligible member of the music faculty of their choosing. It is ultimately up to the faculty member to accept or decline to take the student as an advisee based upon current advising load and desire.

To officially name a faculty member as a student’s academic advisor, a Change Advisor Form needs to be turned in to the Office of the Registrar.

The College’s stance is that “balancing advising assignments” is part of the Job Description of the Department Chair.