SUSI Mission Statement
The purposes of the Simpson Urban Studies Institute are to involve departments in all academic divisions of the College in research, to serve the larger Des Moines metropolitan area, and to increase experiential learning opportunities for students under the guidance of Simpson faculty.
SUSI Project Requirements
SUSI projects must have research component, include Simpson students, have a Simpson faculty sponsor and produce a final report of the research results beneficial to the Des Moines metropolitan area.
SUSI Grant applications are to be completed by a Simpson College faculty member and at least one Simpson student. Grant proposals are reviewed by a faculty committee.
Grant proposals are still being accepted for the June 2013 – May 2014 fiscal year.
Applications are due April 1, 2014 for research starting in Summer 2014 or Fall 2014, and applications are due November 1, 2014 for research starting in Spring 2015.
SUSI research grants are for a maximum of $2000. The award can be used to fund the research process (i.e. photocopying, mailing expenses, supplies, travel to and from the research site, equipment, computer software, travel to libraries etc.). Grant proposals may also include in the $2000 award up to $500 for a faculty stipend, up to $500 for a student stipend, and up to $500 for travel to a conference to present research results. Note that faculty stipends will not be awarded for research that is part of a class. Student stipends are only awarded for summer research, and students may elect to apply the $500 stipend towards on-campus student housing.
Examples of projects funded by SUSI grants
• Urban Anthropology: Cultural Sensitivity Project
• Mitchellville: A Collection of Voices from the Inside
• Needs Analysis of the Des Moines River Bend neighborhood
• Judge-Jury Divergence and the Race of the Defendant
• Self Meets World: Student Identity Travels Abroad
• A Frontline View of Disproportionate Minority Youth Contact
• How Did I Get Here? A Look at the Juvenile Drug Court Experience
• Nurse Experiences in the Nurse Family Partnership Program
For additional information, contact Debra Czarneski (firstname.lastname@example.org).