SUSI Mission Statement
The purposes of the Simpson Urban Studies Institute are to involve departments in all academic divisions of the College in research, to serve the larger Des Moines metropolitan area, and to increase experiential learning opportunities for students under the guidance of Simpson faculty.
SUSI Grant applications are to be completed by the Faculty Sponsor for the research project. Maximum grants will normally be $1500
SUSI projects must have research component, include Simpson students, have a Simpson faculty sponsor and produce a final report of the research results beneficial to the Des Moines metropolitan area.
Proposals are reviewed by a faculty committee.
Examples of projects funded by SUSI grants
- Urban Anthropology: Cultural Sensitivity Project
- Mitchellville: A Collection of Voices from the Inside
- Needs Analysis of the Des Moines River Bend neighborhood
- Judge-Jury Divergence and the Race of the Defendant
- Self Meets World: Student Identity Travels Abroad
- A Frontline View of Disproportionate Minority Youth Contact
- How Did I Get Here? A Look at the Juvenile Drug Court Experience
- Nurse Experiences in the Nurse Family Partnership Program