- What is the timeline for applying?
- Will my grade point average transfer?
- How many total credits may I transfer?
- How does Simpson apply the credits earned with an Associate of Arts degree?
- How can I schedule a campus visit?
- During my visit will I meet with an advisor?
- What type of housing is available for transfer students?
- Do you offer an orientation program for transfer students?
- When will I register for classes?
- What are Simpson’s Graduation Requirements?
What is the timeline for applying?
Simpson accepts applications on a rolling basis. Although applications may be accepted up to the start of each semester, it is strongly recommended that applications for spring semester be received by December 15 and applications for fall semester by August 15.
Will my grade point average transfer?
No, only credit hours transfer to Simpson. Transfer students will not have a Simpson GPA until they have completed Simpson course work.
How many total credits may I transfer?
Although an unlimited number of credit hours may be transferred to Simpson College, graduates of two-year colleges must complete an additional minimum of 64 semester hours of credit at Simpson to apply to the minimum of 128 semester hours needed to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts Degree (68 and 132 hours respectively for a Bachelor of Music Degree). Students who transfer form four-year institutions must complete at least 32 hours at Simpson for a Bachelor of Arts Degree and 36 hours at Simpson for a Bachelor of Music Degree.
How does Simpson apply the credits earned with an Associate in Arts degree?
Students who complete an Associate of Arts Degree at an Iowa two year college or at any other two-year college accredited by the NCA or an equivalent accrediting body and who subsequently are admitted as full-time degree-seeking students at Simpson College will be enrolled as juniors and will have fulfilled the general education requirements. This status is subject to the qualifications below:
- Although an unlimited number of credit hours may be transferred to Simpson College, graduates of two-year colleges must complete an additional minimum of 64 semester hours of credit at Simpson to apply to the minimum of 128 semester hours needed to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts Degree (68 and 132 hours respectively for a Bachelor of Music Degree).
- Any degree applicable course with a grade of C- or better will be transferred in and be evaluated on a course by courses basis. Courses without a Simpson College equivalent will be given general departmental or divisional credit.
- A maximum of 16 semester hours of vocational credit, as provided by Simpson’s policy on non-traditional technical credit, will be accepted for transfer.
Further information regarding transfer admission may be obtained by contacting the Director of Transfer Enrollment in the Office of Admission.
How can I schedule a campus visit?
To arrange a personalized visit, please call the Office of Admissions toll-free at 515-961-1624; or email firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule your visit online. To learn about the various ways you can visit Simpson, visit our main visit page.
During my visit will I meet with an advisor?
During your campus visit you will meet with the Director of Transfer Enrollment to review your transfer of credits and discuss the anticipated timeline for completion of your degree. You may request a meeting with a faculty member as well.
What type of housing is available for transfer students?
Campus housing is available for transfer students and includes residence halls, apartments and theme houses.
Do you offer an orientation program for transfer students?
Yes, Simpson offers orientation programs for transfer students at the beginning of each semester.
When will I register for classes?
Students will meet with the Registrar or an academic advisor by appointment to register for classes soon after the enrollment deposit is received and prior to the start of the semester. For more information contact Gwen Schroder, Director of Transfer Enrollment, email@example.com or call 515-961-1624.
What are Simpson’s graduation requirements?
Simpson offers two baccalaureate degrees: Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Music. To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree from Simpson, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete at least 128 semester hours of course work at Simpson with a major (and minor if applicable) cumulative grade point average of C (2.00) or better. (132 semester hours for the bachelor of music degree.)
- Complete at least 64 semester hours beyond that transferred in from two-year colleges and at least 32 semester hours of work beyond that transferred in from four-year colleges.
- Completion of the Engaged Citizenship Curriculum. (If a student has completed an Associates of Arts prior to transfer, these requirements will have been fulfilled.)
- Complete one May Term for every two years of full time study at Simpson.