A minor in Art History from Simpson College provides a student with knowledge of art in the context of a broad array of cultures and historical periods. Additionally, the minor in Art History requires two Foundations of Design courses. These courses allow students to learn the skills and practices of art, as well as aspects of the creative process itself. A minor in Art History enriches and complements a variety of existing majors, particularly the Studio Art major, Graphic Design major, or any number of majors including those in the areas of History, English, and Religion.
The Art History minor at Simpson provides students a viable platform from which to pursue not only graduate study in Art History, but professional training in an array of areas including museum and curatorial studies, art conservation, connoisseurship, and historical preservation to name but a few.
Students will complete six courses plus Gallery Event and Museum Attendance requirement as follows:
- ART 001 Gallery Event and Museum Attendance (0 Credits)
- ART 131 Foundations of Design (4 Credits)
Choose 4 courses from the following:
- ART 201 Art History: Prehistoric to Renaissance (4 Credits)
- ART 202 Art History: Renaissance to 19th Century (4 Credits)
- ART 203 Art History: Modern Art (4 Credits)
- ART 204 Art History: Non Western Art (4 Credits)
- ART 205 Art Since 1940 (4 Credits)
- ART 206 History of Design (4 Credits)
Total Credits for Art History Minor: 20 Credits