Graphic Design Major
Graphic Design is a growing field that needs design thinkers and computer artists that can interpret complex concepts. Simpson's Graphic Design Major is tailored to students interested in working in commercial or non-profit organizations to communicate through the use of type, layout, design and photography. Simpson students will have the opportunity to gain experience through internships with some of the leading Des Moines area businesses and organizations.
Reasons to join us
- Gain practical experience through internships.
- The art department offers trips for students to visit museums and galleries in cities across the nation.
- Opportunities to apply your skills by getting involved in organizations on and off campus.
Recent Jobs & Internships
Simpson students studying Graphic Design found jobs and internships with companies like Meredith Corporation, Runner's World Magazine, Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Iowa to name a few.
- Art 001 Gallery Event and Museum Attendance (each year)
- Art 0XX Junior Art Portfolio (must complete by end of third year)
- Art 121 Basic Drawing
- Art 131 Foundations of Design I – 2D
- Art 310 Advanced Studio: Idea development (must complete by end of third year)
- Art 206 History of Design
- Art 201 Prehistoric to Renaissance
- Art 202 Renaissance to 19th Century Art 203 Modern Art
- Art 204 Non-Western Art
- Art 205 Art since 1940
Complete the following three courses
- Art 136 Graphic Design I
- Art 236 Graphic DesignII
- Art 336 Graphic Design III
- Art 122 Drawing I
- Art 222 Drawing II
- Art 322 Drawing III
- Art 175 Painting I
- Art 275 Painting II
- Art 375 Painting III
- Art 155 Photography I
- Art 255 Photography II
- Art 355 Photography III
- Art 319 Internship in Art
- Art 385 Senior Seminar Art
- 0XY Senior Exhibition