November 1, 2017: Competition opens for submissions
January 15, 2018: All entries must be received
January 24, 2018: Announcement of selected works
February 2, 2018: Selected work needs to be hand delivered to the Willis Gallery
February 2 2018: Exhibit Opens
February 16, 2018: Artist Reception and Awards Presentation
This competition is open to any high school art student. We are looking to showcase excellence in a variety of media in our galleries on the Simpson College campus. The artworks for this show will be selected from submitted digital images and must be original works created by a high school student. Artworks that are accepted must be delivered to the Simpson College Campus and will be hung for this show. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as Best of Show.
1. Painting – including oil, acrylic, watercolor or gouache. Please list on entry which media.
2. Drawing – including pencil, ink, markers, chalk pastel, oil pastel, crayon, charcoal
3. Mixed Media – entries in which two or more media are combined in a single 2-D form, including collage.
4. Printmaking – any form of creative print (monoprint, relief, intaglio, lithography or silkscreen. Please indicate the specific printmaking method on entry form.
5. Graphic Design – Art with a commercial purpose. May be a combination of hand and or computer generated image(s) for commercial purposes.
6. Crafts/Fiber Arts/Handmade Paper – including batik, weaving, etc.
7. 3D (including Sculpture and Ceramics) – including work in the round or in-relief, modeled, cast, carved, built or assembled, functional or non-functional objects made from clay and kiln-fired at high or low temperatures.
8. Photography – including both film and digital photography
Submissions – Submissions must be online. For judging purposes, these images must be high quality, in RGB color mode, JPEG format and 72 dpi. All digital files must be smaller than 2MB. Digital files must be labeled with your last name, first name, and the entry category with no punctuation marks until the file extension. (example: Smith John Graphic Design 1A.jpg.)
Each student may submit up to three works. If you decide to submit more than one work in one category, please indicate as such: Smith John 1A.jpg and Smith John 1B.jpg.
To submit your work please use our ONLINE ENTRY FORM.
Selection Process – the Simpson College art faculty will jury all submissions. Art will be selected on the basis of quality and creativity. Only the works selected from the digital entries will be exhibited.
Deadline – All digital entries must be received by 4:00 p.m., Monday, Jan. 15, 2018.
Notification – Students with work accepted will be notified on or before Wed., Jan. 24, 2018.
Delivery of Work - The works selected for this show must be labeled on the back according to the labeling instructions. All artwork must be display ready. 2-D work must be framed (if appropriate) and all 2-D work must have hanging wire. No adjustable plastic frames held together with string, no stick-on hangers or string held together with tape will be accepted. Also, all hanging work must indicate "top" on the back.) All artwork must be delivered to the Willis Gallery, Kent Campus Center (see map) at the corner of C Street and West Girard Ave. between the hours of 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Friday, Feb. 2, 2018. The Willis Gallery is on the 2nd floor.
Exhibition Dates - The exhibit will open on Fri., Feb 2 and will run through Feb 16, 2018. The Willis Gallery is open weekday from 8 – 4 p.m.
Artists Reception and Awards Presentation – Friday, Feb. 16, 2018 a special afternoon is planned for the artists and their guests. A tour of the Simpson College campus will begin at 3:30 at the Kent Center. A tour of the Art Studios will begin at 4:15 p.m. at the Art Studios located at the corner of West Clinton Ave. and North Howard St. (see map.) A special artists reception and Awards Presentation for the artists and their guests will be from 5 to 6 p.m. at the Willis Gallery at the Kent Campus center. The awards will be presented at this time.
Removal of Work - At the end of the reception, students must take their work with them. All work must be removed at this time.