Murphy Waggoner '09
Professor of Mathematics, Department Chair of Mathematics
- Phone Number:
- Office Location:
- Carver Science 339
- B.S., Mathematics, Arkansas Tech University, 1981
M.S., Mathematics, Oklahoma State University, 1988
Ed.D., Teaching College Mathematics, Oklahoma State University, 1994
B.A., Spanish, Simpson College, 2009
Hi. My name is Murphy Waggoner, and I have been a professor at Simpson since 1992. I’m a mathematician, and my interests are teaching and applications of mathematics. Lately I have been involved with combining my love of math and my love of art. I have taught Mathematics of Art three times and had a great time. I hope the students did, too, and I can’t wait to teach it again.
In 2009 I finished a Spanish degree as well (so I am a Simpson grad!) I strengthened my Spanish speaking and listening skills while leading a group of students on a semester abroad to Argentina in Spring 2014.
I also have a passion for reading and writing. I maintain a book blog with over 350 posts I have written about books I have read in the past decade. I also write teaching support materials for college mathematics teaching. Here are some of them. Feel free to borrow.
- Over 700 writing prompts for using writing-to-learn calculus. Includes differential, integral and multi-variable calculus topics.
- A presentation about these prompts at MathFest 2004 and a summary.
- A follow-up presentation about the value of writing among different students given at the Joint Math Meetings in 2005.
- A short list of writing prompts for complex variables
- A set of learning journal prompts for college algebra and writing prompts for intermediate algebra.
- A blog on applications of linear algebra.
I hope I get a chance to meet you on campus. My office is Carver Science Hall. Stop by sometime and introduce yourself!