Why study biology at Simpson College?
- You get to participate in research.
- Complete summer internships in leading businesses in the Des Moines Area
- Go abroad for a May Term.
- State of the art labs for each of the natural sciences including a cadaver lab.
Recent Jobs & Internships
- Blank Park Zoo
- Des Moines University
- DuPont Pioneer
- Integrated DNA Technologies
- Mercy Clinics
- and more
THE SIMPSON COLLEGE BIOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE FACULTY HAVE LED NUMEROUS MAY TERM COURSES TO EXOTIC AND EXCITING LOCATIONS AROUND THE WORLD. RECENT TRIPS INCLUDE: BELIZE, ICELAND, THE NETHERLANDS AND DENMARK, CUBA, CAMBODIA, ECUADOR AND THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS, SOUTHWESTERN UNITED STATES, MADAGASCAR, NAMIBIA, AND SOUTH AFRICA.
During her first semester at the University of Iowa Medical…
John Greaves ’14 is spending part of his summer at the Stowers Institute for Medical Research in Kansas City, Mo., trying to better understand how cells function.
Core Organismal Course
- Biol 110 Principles of Biology I w/lab
- Biol 111 Principles of Biology II w/lab
- Biol 251 Microbiology w/lab
- Biol 270 BasicGenetics w/lab
- Biol 285 Developmental Biology w/lab
- Biol 334 Cellular Biology
- Biol 341 Immunology
- Biol 360 Molecular Genetics w/lab
- Biol 245 General Entomology w/ lab
- Biol 253 Principles of Ecology w/lab
- Biol 275 Behavioral Ecology w/lab
- Biol 350 Mammalogy w/lab
- Biol 358 Freshwater Ecology w/ lab
- Biol 225 Human Physiology w/lab
- Biol 230 Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy w/lab
- Biol 235 Embryology w/lab
- Any combination of 200 and 300-level biology courses, to include at least one 300-level course. However, no more than one course taken in directed study, independent research or May Terms can be counted toward the biology major.
- Chem 101 Bonds and Structures I w/lab
- Chem 201 Organic Chemistry I w/lab
- Phys 151 Principles of Physics I w/lab
- Phys 191 General Physics I w/lab
- Bio 370 Biochemistry Seminar
- Bio 371 Environmental Science Capstone
- COOP 319 Internship (Requires Department Chair Approval)
- Bio 398 Independent Research
Recent Graduate Schools
Creighton University, Des Moines University, Duke University, Iowa State University, Kansas State University, Northwest Missouri State University, Northwestern University and many more.