Physic-Engineering Option Major
This major option is only available to students who transfer to an engineering school. A maximum of 32 credits may be transferred back to Simpson College from the engineering school.
Students will complete 14 courses as follows:
- Phys 191 General Physics I
- Phys 192 General Physics II
- Phys 230 Modern Physics
- Phys 271 Experimental Physics I (.5 course)
- Phys/Engr 250 Statics OR Phys/Engr 330 Digital Systems
Choose one course from the following:
- Phys 310 Thermal Physics
- Phys 320 Classical Mechanics
- Phys 340 Electromagnetic Fields
- Phys 360 Quantum Mechanics
Engineering Electives 300- level or above (2.5 courses) transferred from engineering school
Required Supporting Courses:
- Chem 101 General Chemistry I
- Chem 102 General Chemistry II*
- CmSc 150 Fund. Of Computing I
- Math 151 Calculus I
- Math 152 Calculus II
- Math 251 Calculus III
- Math 345 Differential Equations
*Chemistry 102 may be waived if it is not required by the particular engineering school or program the student wishes to enter.
In addition to the above required courses, students should consider taking Math 255 Linear Algebra and be careful to meet any other specific course requirements of their chosen engineering program.
The capstone of the Physics-Engineering major is the successful completion (and transfer back to Simpson College) of 10 hours of Engineering courses, 300-level or above, from an accredited engineering school.