Amanda Gard (2)Can I complete a degree and have a life too?
Yes, with some planning and determination. Most people have to make adjustments in their schedule to make time for college. Try taking one class to see how it fits in with your other commitments. From there you can adjust your class schedule to meet your needs.

Simpson’s Continuing & Graduate Programs lets you decide when and where you want to take class, as well as how many to take at one time.

What makes Simpson College Continuing & Graduate Programs unique? 
At the heart of Simpson College is the idea of helping students discover their calling and providing the education needed to live it out while teaching the skills to make this happen. We believe in not only providing degrees, but in helping people lead fulfilling lives as lifelong learners. Each and every student is treated with genuine respect and concern. We view you as a student, a customer, a colleague, and a friend.

What is the difference between part-time and full-time enrollment?
Part-time status is 11 credits or less per semester. Full-time status is 12 credits or more per semester. It is important to note that students must be enrolled in eight credits or more per semester to be eligible for financial aid. Many students are able to maintain this level of enrollment while working full-time. Students who do not require financial aid may take fewer than eight credits per semester.

How long will it take to complete my program?
That depends on a number of factors, including how many college credits you have previously earned, and how many credits you choose to complete per semester. Our accelerated program allows you to take up to 12 credits per semester. We offer 8-week classes in evening and online formats so you can advance quickly. An academic advisor will meet with you to design an individual program completion plan upon receiving your transcripts.

What are the admission requirements?
In order to receive a degree or certificate from Simpson College, a student must complete all application procedures and be officially accepted by the college. An Admissions Counselor is available to assist you in completing this process:

1. Apply online or complete and mail the part-time application for admission provided by the Continuing & Graduate Programs.
2. Submit official transcripts of high school and all previous college work; Forms for ordering transcripts are available. For help with contacting colleges, see how to order your transcripts.
3. Normally, the ACT/SAT exam requirement is waived for adult students; however, the college reserves the right to request ACT/SAT exam scores, depending upon other academic credentials furnished.
4. When a student is found “admissible” by the admissions committee, he/she will be classified as a degree candidate upon payment of a one-time, $125 matriculation fee and enrollment in the upcoming session.

Why do colleges require transcripts? Do I really need transcripts from all my previous schools? 
Exchange of transcripts verifies the previous coursework completed by the student. Official transcripts also prove that a student does not have any outstanding financial obligations to a previous college. Transcripts from all previously attended high schools, colleges and technical schools are required.

How does credit transfer between colleges?
Simpson College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Simpson accepts transfer credit from other institutions accredited by the Higher Learning Commission that offer courses leading to an Associate of Arts or Bachelor of Arts degree. Conversely, Simpson College credits are accepted by similarly accredited institutions.

Can I get credit for my life and work experience?
Yes! Students who are at least 25 years of age and have fewer than 64 credits may submit a Life Experience Portfolio (LEP) for credit consideration. The LEP allows students to translate work, volunteer, travel, and military experiences into college credit.

Life and work experience is evaluated against high academic standards to determine whether they meet the requirements of a particular course or program. A one credit course is offered to provide a step-by-step demonstration of how to produce a successful portfolio.

A total of 24 credits may be awarded, shortening your class time by up to two years and saving over $9,000 in tuition. There is a $75 processing fee for portfolio submission. All credits awarded are free of charge.

How much is undergraduate tuition?

2018-2019 Tuition per Credit
Undergraduate Tuition and Fees

Tuition: $375/credit hour
$6/credit hour Technology Fee
→$20/credit hour Online Fee
$125 one-time Matriculation Fee

Please note: Summer 2018 courses fall under the 17-18 Tuition and Fee Schedule.
Additional fees may apply. View the full list of 2018-2019 Academic Fees.

How much is graduate tuition?

2018-2019 Tuition per Credit
Graduate Tuition and Fees

Master of Arts in Criminal Justice (MACJ)

36 Credit Hours
Tuition: $550/credit hour
→ $6/credit hour Technology Fee
→ $20/credit hour Online fee
→ $125 one-time Matriculation Fee

Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)

A minimum of 42 Credit Hours
Tuition: $550/credit hour
→ $6/credit hour Technology Fee
→ $20/credit hour Online fee
→ $125 one-time Matriculation Fee
→ $42 background check fee

Master of Music in Choral Conducting

36 Credit Hours
Tuition: $800/credit hour
→ $6/credit hour Technology Fee
→ $125 one-time Matriculation Fee
→ $500/summer Recital Fee

Please note: Summer 2018 courses fall under the 17-18 Tuition and Fee Schedule.


Is financial aid available for adult students? Do I qualify for any assistance?
Many adult students do qualify for financial aid in the form of low-interest, education loans, many without regard to income. Students may also qualify for grants and scholarships from federal, state, institutional, or private sources. To be eligible for student loans, you must enroll in 6 credits or more each semester. Please take time to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and talk with a financial aid counselor about your individual situation. The FAFSA is available online at www.fafsa.gov.

In completing this form, the student is automatically considered for:

  • Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Iowa Tuition Grant
  • Federal Direct Loan
  • College Work Study if applicable

Simpson College may request additional information or forms.  Make sure you respond promptly to avoid delays in receiving your financial aid.

For full details see Apply for Financial Aid

How does tuition reimbursement from my employer work?
Students are allowed an interest-free loan when their employer will reimburse tuition at the conclusion of the course. Students sign a promissory note to defer tuition payment for up to 45 days after the course ends. A copy of the employer’s approval and the promissory note must be submitted to the Business Office on or before the first class meeting. If the full amount is paid within 45 days of the close of the term, the entire amount is interest-free.

What if I didn’t do well in college, previously? 
Are you at a different place in your life than you were the last time you enrolled in college? Do you have a stronger motivation to complete your degree? Are you more mature? Are you better at time management? Chances are, school may not have been a high priority during your previous college experience. When awarding admission, we consider your past circumstances, recommendations from your current associates, and your motivation to finish what you started. For many adults, life and work experience has prepared them to better succeed in college today than they would have in the past.

Who teaches the classes? What are the qualifications of your faculty?
At Simpson College, the majority of faculty hold the highest degree possible in their field. Many of our Continuing & Graduate instructors have full-time jobs in the field they are teaching. Both are important to the learning process. This combination of educational qualification and practical experience provide the best possible learning environment in the classroom.

Am I too old to do this? Will I be the oldest person in my class?
The average age of students taking courses in Simpson’s Continuing & Graduate Programs is 34, with ages ranging from 20-70. Never underestimate your ability to learn at any age. We don’t.

I don’t even remember how to write a paper. Is tutoring available for adult students?
Simpson College offers free assistance to all students through the Center for Academic Resources. Trained writing tutors review papers for grammar, spelling, organization, and clarity. The Center for Academic Resources also helps students with test taking, study skills, and problem solving. The most important step is to ask for help as soon as you feel you need it. Don’t wait until your class is nearly over or the night before a major paper is due.