There are many opportunities to apply for grant funding through foundations and government agencies locally, regionally and nationally. Michelle Johnson, in the Office of College Advancement, is available to help faculty members and staff in their grant-seeking endeavors to fund innovative projects that will benefit the Simpson community. For more information about foundation and government support, please contact Michelle Johnson; ext. 1871, Hillman 2nd floor – Room 29A in the Office of College Advancement.
BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR A GRANT
- Contact Michelle to request assistance and/or to notify her about your intentions to apply for a grant.
- Schedule a face-to-face meeting with Michelle within one week to:
- Define expectations,
- Outline responsibilities, and
- Determine a timeline to successfully complete the proposal prior to the deadline.
- Complete a grant agreement form and work with Michelle to obtain approval to move forward.
- The advancement office AND dean/president must approve the grant project prior to submission.
WHILE YOU ARE COMPOSING A GRANT
- Collaborate and stay in regular contact with Michelle to complete all components of the grant.
- Work with Michelle to keep key Simpson stakeholders informed of plans, to gather input on the narrative, and to obtain approval on the project and proposed budget.
- The target for all grant proposals is to submit them three days prior to the due date to prevent last minute or unexpected challenges or technical difficulties.
AFTER YOU RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF A SUCCESSFUL GRANT AWARD
- Notify Michelle, as well as Logan Edel in the office of business and finance, immediately once notified about a successful grant award.
- Schedule a meeting with Michelle and Logan within one week of award notification to:
- Discuss the official grant agreement/grant contract,
- Set up accounts for the fund,
- Review the schedule for all required reporting (progress reports, financial reports, etc.) and determine who will be responsible for collecting information and completing the reports, and
- Determine action steps to adhere to grant guidelines and expectations.
IF YOU ARE DENIED A GRANT
- Notify Michelle immediately once notified about a denial of a grant.
- Michelle will send a letter to the grantor and request more information about the denial.
- Work with Michelle to notify campus administrators, stakeholders and partners.
- Restructure and resubmit proposal if allowed, and seek other potential funding sources for the proposed project.