• Aideen Monaghan
• Artist’s C.V.
• Educational Details
• 2000 - 2nd Class Hons. Degree in Fine Art / Painting from Limerick Institute of Technology.
• 2001 –Higher Diploma in Art and Design Education from Limerick School of Art and Design.
• 2005 –Higher Diploma in Professional Education Studies from N.U.I. Galway.
• 2000 - Joint winner of the R.D.S. Taylor Award for Fine Art.
• 2000–Winner of the Revenue Commissioners Purchase Prize.
• 2005 –Galway County Council Arts Bursary.
• Solo Exhibitions
• October 2012 – Solo Exhibition, Anton’s Café, Father Griffin Road, Galway.
• February 2006 – Solo Exhibition, Anton’s Cafe, Father Griffin Road, Galway.
• Group Exhibitions
• September 2015- Invited Artist, Shorelines Arts Festival, Portumna, Co. Galway.
• August 2015 Martist Group Exhibition, Athenry Mart, Athenry, Co. Galway.
• September 2014 “Shorelines” Group Exhibition , Portumna Arts Festival, Co. Galway.
• August 2014 East Galway Artists Group Exhibition, Cross St. Athenry, Co. Galway.
• Summer 2012 – 126 Group Exhibiton Bar Eight, The Docks, Galway.
• March 2012 - 126 Group Exhibiton, 126 Gallery, Queen St. Galway.
• August 2011 – Group Exhibition Celtic Shore Arts Festival, Oranmore, Co. Galway.
• June 2005 – “Art in the West” art fair, Leisureland, Galway.
• February 2005 – Group Exhibiton, City Hall, Galway.
• Summer 2001 – R.D.S. Taylor Awards Exhibition, R.D.S. Dublin and N.U.I. Galway.
• Summer 2000 – R.D.S. Taylor Awards Exhibiton, R.D.S. Dublin.
• June 2000 – L.S.A.D. Degree Exhibition, Clare St., Limerick.
• June 1998 – L.S.A.D. Diploma Exhibiton, Clare St., Limerick.
• “Today with Sean O’Rourke” R.T.E. radio 1, , 13th August 2015.
• “Holy Cow It’s Art in the Mart” Connacht Tribune, Judy Murphy, August &th, 2015.
• “Unboxing Ireland: Athenry Martists” November 14th 2015, youtube.com
Beauty can be found in unlikely places and is subjective to the viewer. Through my art, I attempt to find that beauty, mystery and vitality which is hidden or which we choose to ignore.
My work begins with drawing. I use my sketchbook as a visual diary, a means of recording images. I explore and investigate different compositions and possibilities. The potential of visual art to change the ordinary into the extraordinary fascinates me. I like to play with elements that effect our aesthetic sensibilities and create new scenarios which will arouse the curiousity of the viewer.