1. The student is responsible for initiating contact with the Hawley Academic Resource Center and for providing professional documentation regarding his/her disability. This documentation must describe the disability and the results of the tests administered (if appropriate), the effect of the disability on the student’s ability to access programs and services, and suggestions for specific accommodations that would provide equal access to these programs and services.
Documentation should be prepared by a person who is a qualified professional capable of providing a diagnosis and/or treatment for the disability. The documentation should also be printed and use the letterhead of the professional or the agency.
The modifications and aids is based on the appropriateness of the needs and capabilities of the student. The student should provide documentation which is recent (within 3 years) and appropriate documentation relevant to the request for accommodations. An exception can be made on an individual basis where the disability has been evident throughout an individual’s life.
Simpson College reserves the right to request further assessment of a student who provides out-of-date or incomplete documentaton. Assessments are done at the expense of the student.
2. The student is responsible for meeting with the director of the Hawley Academic Resource Center to discuss accommodations that would be helpful for the student.
3. The student is responsible for contacting faculty members at the beginning of each semester regarding necessary accommodations, and/or for making arrangements through the Hawley Academic Resource Center to contact faculty.
4. The student is responsible for reminding faculty of necessary accommodations if necessary and following up with both faculty and the Hawley Academic Resource Center if there is a problem with any requested accommodations or services.
1. Faculty members are responsible for discussing the specifics of accommodation requests with students to clarify procedures, insure mutual understanding, and establish a positive working relationship.
2. Faculty members are responsible for responding to accommodation requests in a timely manner.
3. Faculty members are responsible for contacting the Hawley Academic Resource Center if they have any questions or concerns regarding accommodations for students with disabilities.
4. If a student requests an accommodation from a faculty member and has not provided the proper documentation to the Hawley Academic Resource Center, the faculty member is responsible for referring the student to Hawley for assistance in setting up the necessary accommodations.