What can you do with a History major?
A lot actually. History is an extremely versatile major that will help prepare you for the world beyond college.
Today’s employers are looking for people who: can think critically and creatively; know how to problem solve; write and speak clearly and effectively; can do research and work independently; and have empathy for other points of view. These are all skills that you develop and practice through the study of history.
Why not be a history major where you can acquire the skills that employers want through the study of something you love?
Look to see what some of our graduates have gone on to do after their experience at Simpson.
Lara Roy '11 received her teaching certification in History and Spanish
About a quarter of our graduates go into education, teaching at the middle and high school levels. Our History program provides students with the breadth of knowledge that makes them competitive on the education job market.
As we mentioned, the history major is very versatile. This can be seen in the variety of careers being pursued by recent graduates.
- Director of Employee Benefits for Hy-Vee
- Underwriter for Nationwide Insurance
- Wells Fargo
- Archivist at small liberal arts college
- Curator and Historian at Salisbury House
- Attorney-at-law for major international corporation
- Deputy County Attorney
Government and Public Service
- Staffer for Local, State and Federal Politicians
- Military Service
- AmeriCorps Vista
- Iowa Department of the Blind
- Host of Market to Market on Iowa Public Television
- Reporter for The Wall Street Journal
Josie Rundlett '09 went to Washington, DC to pursue a career in government
Keith Bryan '10 is a trainer with Nationwide Insurance
Megan Stout '04 received her Ph.D. in History in 2013 from Loyola University of Chicago and is now the Curator at Salisbury House in Des Moines
Allison Haack '10 completed her Masters of Library Science at University of Indiana - Bloomington
Many of our majors go on to pursue graduate degrees in history, religion, library science, business and law.
- Boston College
- Creighton University - Law School
- Drake University - College of Business and Public Administration
- Drake University - Law School
- Emory University
- Indiana University, Bloomington
- Iowa State University
- Loyola University - Chicago
- Marquette University
- University of Iowa
- University of Kansas
- Washburn University, School of Law