Overview of the Program
An Undergraduate Assistantship should enhance a student’s academic experience and allow for significant growth.
Factors differentiating assistantships from other positions:
- Proposals must be written to reflect how an assistantship will be more than just a work study job.
- Students who will be sophomores, juniors or seniors during the 2014-2015 academic year are eligible to apply.
- Students desiring assistantships must correctly complete the application process. (See Student Requirement section.)
- All students must be interviewed.
- Students must have a 2.75 GPA at the time of application.
- Undergraduate assistants will earn $8.25 per hour.
- Students selected for a UGA position are not eligible for regular work study positions. Limited exclusions apply. Contact the office of finanacial assistance with questions.
- Funding of Undergraduate Assistantship positions will come from the student employment budget already assigned to the department for the fiscal year.
- If a large number of proposals from a department are received, the frequency the department has received undergraduate assistantship funding in the past will be a factor in determining the 2014-2015 awards.
- If more than one proposal is submitted, please indicate order of preference. If no preference is given, the Undergraduate Assistantship Committee will preference the applications.
- Because the undergraduate program is also intended to offer students the opportunity to build their application and interviewing skills, all applicants should receive a personal interview with the supervisor directing their particular undergraduate assistantship.
- It may be helpful to personally encourage several students to consider applying for your Undergraduate Assistantship. This assures a larger pool of applicants from which to choose, and involves more students in the program.
At the beginning of the Spring Semester, Career Services will send students information on how to register for a Career Path Account and apply for a 2014-2015 Undergraduate Assistantship position. A student must do the following to be eligible:
- Complete the application process, by submitting a cover letter and resume.
- Have a personal interview with the individual who will be directing the undergraduate assistantship.
- Hold a cumulative grade point of at least 2.75 at the time of application.