The Cowles-Hopper Complex is the result of the generosity and hard work of many dedicated supporters of Simpson College. It provides the Simpson community with facilities that are among the best in the country. The main function of the complex is to provide Simpson students the opportunities for recreation, play, competition and exercise. The rules, regulations and policies for its use all are designed to follow that philosophy. However, it is also true that the intention is to provide the greater college community and Indianola with similar opportunities.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or problems, please contact Athletic Director John Sirianni in the athletic office at 961-1620.
Student workers will supervise during all hours that the complex is open. They are there to provide information, help you with any problems you may have, take reservations, assign courts, etc. They speak on behalf of administrators and faculty/staff when asking users to comply with the rules and regulations of the complex. They need your cooperation in this effort.
Athletic Events at Simpson College
Due to the large number of athletic events held in the complex, Simpson College prints a monthly SAC (Simpson Athletic Club) facilities calendar, outlining when the complex is open on a day-to-day basis. Please check this calendar before planning your use of the complex. There may be additional changes that occur, causing us to reserve the complex for special events. Thank for your understanding.
- No use of tobacco products is allowed in the complex.
- Beverages should NOT be brought into the gym, field house, weight room/fitness room or racquetball courts.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied and supervised by adult faculty, staff or SAC members. Supervision is defined at DIRECT supervision, i.e., being in visual contact with, and attentive to, the youth. An adult is defined as someone who had graduated from high school.
- Footwear: Gym, field house, and racquetball courts require the use of basketball, court, cross-trainer or jogging shoes. No bare feet or black-soled shoes that leave marks are allowed on any of these surfaces. Anywhere in complex: Soccer, football, baseball, softball shoes or track spikes are not allowed. Everyone must wear a pair of the appropriate type of gym shoes when using the indoor facilities.
- Behavior in the complex must reflect safety and concern for others. The complex is one of the best facilities available for the Simpson College community and demands care and respect from all users.
- Use of the complex is limited to the following: students, faculty/staff and their immediate families and SAC members.
- All members must have their membership cards clearly visible when using the facility.
Cowles-Hopper Athletic Complex Hours
SEPTEMBER – MAY
Monday- Friday 5:30 a.m – 10 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Sunday Noon – 10:00 p.m.
SUMMER HOURS (JUNE – AUGUST)
Monday – Friday 6:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
(No weekends during the summer)
Swimming Pool and Sauna Hours
DAILY SHEDULE (SEPTEMBER – MAY)
Monday – Friday 6:00a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
Monday – Friday 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
WEEKEND AND EVENGING HOURS- SEE MONTHLY SCHEDULE.
When classes are in session, the fitness room will be open only to Simpson students and employees from 3p.m. – 5p.m. weekdays.
Simpson Athletic Club Membership
Membership is open to all persons living in the Indianola area. Membership is currently limited to 200 members. Request for membership applications should be directed to the campus information office at 961-1607. Non-Simpson college students who purchase a summer only or winter break pass membership are excluded from the membership limit.
You must present your membership card to the attendant on duty. Individuals without a membership will not be allowed to use the complex.
Senior Individual (age 62 and older) $200
Senior couple $275
Pool only-individual $125
Summer (June 1 – August 15) $150
(non- Simpson College students)
Winter Break Pass $50
Guest punch cards (5 visits) $30
Yearly memberships only – except for summer (non- Simpson College students)
Punch cards must be purchased by members for guest use. Punch cards may be purchased at the check-in-desk. No guest will be allowed to use the complex without a punch card. These may be purchased at the athletic office between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m Monday – Friday.
Simpson alumni may use the complex for up to three years after graduation, free of charge. Alumni must apply at the athletic office for a pass prior to using the complex.
Simpson students are free to invite guests to use the complex. A student can invite no more then two guests at any one time and MUST sign in guests at the check-in-desk. The host student MUST be present while a guest or guests are using the complex.
Faculty and staff, as well as their spouses, are free to invite any guests they want to use the complex. The host faculty, staff or spouse MUST sign in guests at the check-in-desk. The faculty, staff or spouse host MUST be present while a guest or guests are using the complex. Family members of faculty and staff age 16 or older may enter the building unattended. Family members under 16 years of age MUST be accompanied by and adult host and sign in at the check-in-desk.
SAC members must purchase a guest punch card to be used when inviting a guest or guests. SAC members can host no more than two guests per membership at any one time. Family members 16 years of age and older may enter they building unattended. Family members under 16 years of age MUST be accompanied by and adult host and sign in at the check-in-desk.
Gyms and Fitness Room
Above policies hold. Any guest under 16 years of age MUST have an adult present in the gym to be allowed use of the gym.
Above policies hold. Any guest under 16 years of age MUST have an adult present in the room to be allowed in the room. A person must be at least 16 years old to use any of the free weight equipment. Persons between the ages of 10 and 15 may use the fitness equipment in the room, provided there is DIRECT adult supervision. No person under the age of 10 may use any of the equipment in the fitness room. The fitness room has been updated with new exercise equipment as well as television sets. (Bring your own headphones)
Swimming Pool and Sauna
The swimming pool and sauna hours are the same. The following are the rules for the swimming pool and sauna:
- Everyone using the swimming pool must take a shower before entering the pool enclosure.
- Any person having an infectious or communicable disease is prohibited from using a public pool.
- Persons having open blisters, cuts, etc. are advised not to use the pool.
- Spitting, spouting water, blowing the nose or discharging bodily wastes in the pool is strictly prohibited.
- Running, boisterous or rough play or excessive noise is forbidden in the pool area, showers or dressing rooms.
- Common towels, combs, brushes and drinking cups are prohibited. Swimsuits and towels should be cleaned and dried after each use.
- No person may take food or drink inside the pool enclosure.
- No pets are permitted
- Family members under 16 years of age MUST be accompanied by an adult host and sign in at the check-in desk.
There are two racquetball courts available.
Court One is a reserve court. Reservations can be made in person at the check-in-desk or by calling 961-1865. Reservations can be made at this number and only during open hours. Reservations can be made up to one week in advance. The time limit for Court One is one hour. Cancellations should be called in at the check-in-desk or at 961-1865. If scheduled users are not on the court at 10 minutes past the start time, the court will be forfeited.
Court Two is a challenge court. One game to a score of 21 will be played for each challenge match. The winner of each match stays on the court. A challenger must place his or her name on the Court Two sign-up board to be eligible for a challenge match.
For your safety, required equipment includes approved protective eyewear and gym or court shoes. No black-soled shoes will be allowed. No one without the required equipment will be allowed on the courts. You must provide your own racquet, balls, shoes and eyewear. No equipment will be available for check our or rent. Users under 16 years old must have direct adult supervision.
Locker Rooms and Lockers
SAC members may use the lockers daily providing they use their own locks. Simpson College is not responsible for items lost or stolen.