The Cowles-Hopper Complex is the result of the generosity and hard work of many dedicated supporters of Simpson College. It provides the Simpson community with facilities that are among the best in the country. The main function of the complex is to provide Simpson students the opportunities for recreation, play, competition and exercise. The rules, regulations and policies for its use all are designed to follow that philosophy. However, it is also true that the intention is to provide the greater college community and Indianola with similar opportunities.
- No use of tobacco products is allowed in the complex.
- Beverages should NOT be brought into the gym, field house, weight room/fitness room or racquetball courts.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied and supervised by adult faculty, staff or SAC members. Supervision is defined at DIRECT supervision, i.e., being in visual contact with, and attentive to, the youth. An adult is defined as someone who had graduated from high school.
- Footwear: Gym, field house, and racquetball courts require the use of basketball, court, cross-trainer or jogging shoes. No bare feet or black-soled shoes that leave marks are allowed on any of these surfaces. Anywhere in complex: Soccer, football, baseball, softball shoes or track spikes are not allowed. Everyone must wear a pair of the appropriate type of gym shoes when using the indoor facilities.
- Behavior in the complex must reflect safety and concern for others. The complex is one of the best facilities available for the Simpson College community and demands care and respect from all users.
- Use of the complex is limited to the following: students, faculty/staff and their immediate families and SAC members.
- All members must have their membership cards clearly visible when using the facility.
- When classes are in session, the fitness room will be open only to Simpson students and employees from 3p.m. – 5p.m. weekdays.
Simpson alumni may use the complex for up to three years after graduation, free of charge. Alumni must apply at the athletic office for a pass prior to using the complex.
Simpson students are free to invite guests to use the complex. A student can invite no more then two guests at any one time and MUST sign in guests at the check-in-desk. The host student MUST be present while a guest or guests are using the complex.
Faculty and staff, as well as their spouses, are free to invite any guests they want to use the complex. The host faculty, staff or spouse MUST sign in guests at the check-in-desk. The faculty, staff or spouse host MUST be present while a guest or guests are using the complex. Family members of faculty and staff age 16 or older may enter the building unattended. Family members under 16 years of age MUST be accompanied by and adult host and sign in at the check-in-desk.