Telephone Policy

Authorization Code

Your authorization code is a seven-digit number which allows you to make billable calls from any phone on campus. Any calls made with your code will be charged to your Simpson College account, so keep this number confidential. Do not lend or share your code with anyone, including your friends. Treat your authorization code like you would a calling card.

In most cases, you will keep the same authorization code each year. You may keep your authorization code as long as you are a currently enrolled student. This code will be cancelled immediately when your student status changes.

There is no charge for your first authorization code. However, if your code is canceled due to a late phone-bill payment or misplacement, you will be charged a $10.00 cancellation fee. If you lose your code or suspect its security has been compromised in any way, contact Information Services immediately at (515) 961-1681.

Authorization Code Uses

You need an authorization code to make the following calls:

  • long distance
  • collect long distance
  • toll free numbers
  • 8-1-411 local directory assistance
  • long distance directory assistance (8-1-area code -555-1212)
  • toll free directory assistance (8-1-800-555-1212)
  • all calling card calls
  • 8-0 local and long distance operators

You do not need an authorization code to make the following calls:

  • campus calls
  • local calls
  • 911 emergency calls

Calling Card Calls

If you chose to set up your own calling card account with an alternate vendor, you cannot use a Simpson telephone number as your billing number. You must arrange for a direct-billed account in which all charges are billed directly to your name and address, not to your Simpson College telephone number.

Collect Calls

It is against college policy for you to accept a collect call or bill third-party calls to a Simpson number. We have restricted these types of calls on all Simpson college numbers through Qwest, however, these phone blocks are not full proof and some calls slip through. These calls will be billed to you and are subject to a manual billing surcharge.

Directory Assistance

The Simpson College Password Student Directory should contain most student, faculty and staff telephone numbers. Numbers not listed in the directory may be available from the Campus Information or Student Development office. Some students may request an unpublished number so their number will not be released. Campus Information can be reached by dialing 0 from a phone on campus. Student Development can be reached at (515) 961-1592.

Emergency Calls

Emergency assistance can be reached by dialing 911. This will contact the Indianola police. Please use 911 only in emergency situations requiring immediate intervention or assistance, such as injury, illness, crime in progress, or other dangerous, life-threatening situations. If you place a 911 call, please contact Campus Security at (515) 961-1711.

Hearing-Impaired Equipment

Please contact Information Services for more information at (515) 961-1619.

International Calls

International calls have been blocked from Simpson College’s telephone system, therefore, no such calls can be direct-dialed from any campus phone. If you need to make international calls, you can obtain a Qwest calling card through the Business Office. Students are responsible for all calling-card bills.

1-900 & 1-976 Calls

These calls have been blocked from Simpson College’s telephone system, therefore, they cannot be direct dialed from any campus phone. If you need to make special services calls, you can obtain an Qwest calling card through the Business Office. Students are responsible for all calling-card bills.

Please note, at some point in the near future, 880 and 881 will be added to the caller-paid number pool. At that time, 880 and 881 numbers will also be blocked.

1-800, 866, 877 & 1-888 Calls

These calls can be made from any campus telephone with the use of your authorization code. To place a toll-free call, dial 8 + 1+ the toll-free telephone number + your authorization code. You will not be charged for toll-free calls unless they transfer to a billable number, such as a 1-900 or 1-976 number. If a toll-free call is made and transferred to a billable number, you will be responsible for the cost of the call plus the manual-billing surcharge.

Operator Assistance

To reach an outside operator, dial 8 + 0. There will be 10-15 second pause and a broken dial tone. Then enter your authorization number. After another short pause, the operator will answer.

Service Requests

Please call Information Services at (515) 961-1619. Please give as much information as you possibly can. Minimum information should include: name, extension number, building and room, nature of problem. Additional information could include: Do you have dial tone? Have you tried a different phone? Can you receive calls? Can you make outgoing calls? 

Information Services’ regular office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There is always an on-call technician available for emergencies. An entire building without phone service would constitute an emergency. One phone without service would not constitute an emergency.

Telephone Jacks

Each room is furnished with at least two modular telephone jacks. Students need to supply their own phone. One of the telephone jacks will be marked “A” and one will be marked “B.” The jack labeled “A “is your primary phone line and in most residence halls is labeled with a blue telephone icon. The jack labeled “B” is your second phone line, and will be marked with a tan telephone icon.

A phone must be plugged into the jack labeled “A” in order to use the phone. A second telephone line is available by simply plugging a phone into jack “B”. If students only have a phone plugged into jack “B”, they will not be able to receive incoming calls. If you have phones plugged into both jacks and your “A” line is busy, your incoming call will roll to your “B” line before going to voicemail. This means if someone is on either line, you will still be able to receive and place calls on the other line.

Telephone Number Relocation Requests

Students who are relocating must notify Student Development.  Information Services will forward your telephone number to your new location when they receive the information from Student Development.


Each student residing in campus housing will have voicemail associated with their telephone number. For voicemail assistance, dial (515) 961-1619. Complete voicemail instructions are available on our Web site.

Voicemail is provided as an enhanced telecommunications service to our students. It is intended to be used for legitimate purposes. Abuse of voicemail such as obscene or harassing messages will result in the loss of this service.