In the beginning, students were boarded in private homes or boarding houses. The first residence hall, built in 1891, was for women. It was called Ladies Hall and had a large dining hall, lounge and sleeping rooms. It has since been remodeled several times and it known now as Mary Berry Hall. A new women’s dormitory was built in 1950; the first men’s dorm was completed in 1954.
Other campus housing included the Lorraine Apartments (1923-1980; apartments are still at the corner of Buxton and Franklin). In the 1946, federal surplus buildings were brought in for men’s and married student housing. Tilton Court was located in the current Wallace parking lot (it was later used as a part of the Music Annex in the same location) and Hopper Terrace was located by the current football field; it was removed in 1968.