The actuarial science curriculum gives you a mathematical foundation so you can analyze complex systems such as fair divisions of trusts, stock market trends and modeling the spread of infectious diseases. The actuarial science program emphasizes the development of technological and modeling skills for executive programs.
- A mobile departmental computer station contains laptops with the appropriate software packages for statistical analysis and problem solving.
- Since 2003, Simpson has fielded more teams than any other institution in the United States for the Mathematics/Interdisciplinary Contest in Modeling.
- The department sponsors several activities - including Simpson Math Club, Actuarial Science Club, peer tutoring, undergraduate assistantships, mathematical contests in modeling and The Putnam Exam.
- The Des Moines metro area is home to more than 3,800 companies. Strong and loyal alumni network provides internship and full-time employment opportunities.
Jobs and Internships
- Allied Insurance
- Bank of the West
- Edward Jones
- EMC Insurance
- National Agricultural Statistical Services
- Principal Financial Group
- Bowling Green State University
- Florida State Unversity
- Loyola University - Chicago
- Northwestern University
- Ohio State University
- University of Michigan
- University of Notre Dame
- Washington University - St. Louis
- Math 151 Calculus I
- Math 152 Calculus II
- Math 205 Financial Mathematics
- Math 251 Calculus III
- Math 334 Applied Probability and Statistics
- Math 338 Data Science
- CmSc 150 Introduction to Programming
- Econ 100 Economic Principles
- Econ 385 Econometrics
- Math 245 Mathematical Modeling
- Math 255 Linear Algebra
- Math 384 Actuary Internship Seminar
- Math 385 Senior Research Seminar