Where is MUMS held and how do I get there?
The symposium is held in the Carver Science Center on the campus of Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa. Click here for maps and directions to the Indianola campus. The Carver Science Center is on the 200 block of West Clinton Avenue.
What does the Carver Science Center look like from the outside?
Where can I park my car?
Visitors can park for free in any campus lot because the symposium starts Friday evening and concludes Saturday afternoon. Free parking is also available on the city streets around campus.
Where can I stay?
There are three places in Indianola, along with several hotels on the south and east sides of Des Moines that are within an easy 20-30 minute drive of Simpson College. Some options are listed below.
- Super 8 Motel - 1701 North Jefferson (Highway 65/69 North), Indianola
- Apple Tree Inn - 1215 North Jefferson (Highway 65/69 North), Indianola
- Garden & Galley Bed & Breakfast - 1321 South Jefferson (Highway 65/69 South), Indianola
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott – 6880 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel – 6800 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Holiday Inn – 6111 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Hampton Inn – 5001 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Sleep Inn – 5850 Morning Star Court, Pleasant Hill
What kind of presentation equipment is available for talks?
All of the presentation rooms are equipped with a laptop computer connected to a projector. The laptops have a typical Windows 7 setup with Microsoft Office. The projectors have VGA cords, so make sure to bring your own connector if you want to use your Apple product or if your laptop only has an HDMI output.
Can I borrow a poster board?
Yes; tri-fold poster boards are available for poster presenters. The black foam boards measure 3 feet tall by 4 feet wide and they can accommodate at most 16 sheets of paper.