Midwest Undergraduate Mathematics Symposium
Student Travel Stipend Instructions (revised for 2013)
- Travel stipends are available for all students who attend MUMS. Students who travel to the symposium without a faculty sponsor can still receive travel stipends. Click on the link above for a full version of the student travel stipend instructions and required forms (a summary of the procedure follows).
- The MAA encourages students to first seek full or partial reimbursement for travel expenses from their home institutions. If you are a student, talk with a professor from your school about the availability of travel funds. MUMS travel stipends can only be awarded when home institutions are unable to cover the full travel costs for students.
- The Student Travel Stipend Request Form is on the second page of the instructions. Travel stipend requests submitted by Friday, March 29, to MUMS@simpson.edu are expected to be awarded at the rates quoted in the instructions. After reviewing the requests submitted by this date, the MUMS directors will email all requesters with a guaranteed amount they will receive (at latest by Friday, April 5).
- Any travel stipend requests submitted after Friday, March 29, will be awarded on a first-received basis if any remaining grant funding is available.
- Travel stipends will be distributed via check after the symposium. The Reimbursement Check Request Form is on the last page of the instructions and should be turned in at the symposium.
- The symposium will be held in the Carver Science Center on the campus of Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa.
- Here is a map of the city of Indianola (Indianola map). Simpson College is located in the center of the map and the Carver Science Center is on West Clinton Avenue.
- Here is a map of the Simpson College campus (campus map). The Carver Science Center can be found near the center of the bottom of the map on West Clinton Avenue.
- Not a problem. Visitors can park for free in any campus lot because the symposium starts Friday evening and concludes Saturday afternoon. Free parking is also available on the city streets around campus.
There are three places to stay in Indianola, along with several hotels on the south and east sides of Des Moines that are within an easy 15-20 minute drive of Simpson College. Some options are listed below.
- Super 8 Motel - 1701 North Jefferson (Highway 65/69 North), Indianola
- Apple Tree Inn - 1215 North Jefferson (Highway 65/69 North), Indianola
- Garden & Galley Bed & Breakfast - 1321 South Jefferson (Highway 65/69 South), Indianola
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott – 6880 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel – 6800 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Holiday Inn – 6111 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Hampton Inn – 5001 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Sleep Inn – 5850 Morning Star Court, Pleasant Hill
Funding for MUMS 2013 is provided by NSF grant DMS-0846477 through the MAA Regional Undergraduate Mathematics Conferences program (maa.org/RUMC). Additional funding is provided by the Simpson College Mathematics Department (simpson.edu/math).